Replacing Treble Hooks with Inline Hooks

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by DBStoots, Nov 24, 2017.

1. j102

j102 Active Member

It’s the same. I use the inline VMC or Owner hooks which are strong.
    The difference is in saving my fingers, the net and the fish. So much easier to work them.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Smackdaddy53 likes this.

2. Monty

Monty Member

3. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

4. EdK13

EdK13 I Love microskiff.com!

IGFA magical measuring device that they sell must have been used. Its not a line class record. I know a guy that used to catch them that size on 10lb mono. And the guy in North Carolina just has the Stanley tape record or is it a weight record - this stuff is too funny.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  5. Smackdaddy53

I guess anyone can say they hold the world record these days :confused:
    3AAA915A-74E5-40D0-8CAF-BC2A346D02A1.jpeg 493ADA68-4BA1-47D0-8C0E-400B05063138.jpeg

Hardluk81 likes this.
  6. Smackdaddy53

Back to single hooks. I am just about ready to swap to all singles because I’m tired of trout getting hooked all in the head and gill plates from using plugs with trebles. I have a weight chart for single hooks and treble hooks somewhere. You have to try to keep the hook weights similar or the action and sink rate will change drastically.

DBStoots likes this.
  7. DBStoots

DBStoots I Love microskiff.com!

Smackdaddy53, it would be great if you could post that chart when you find it. Thanks!

krash and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  8. Smackdaddy53

Here’s a link to my kooky buddy Jim’s post. This was before they had the single hooks with in line eyes so you don’t have to double up split rings to keep the hooks in line with the plug. If you are serious and want to really get deep into matching hook weights buy a digital scale from Harbor Freight for about $10. I have one for rod building and use it to fine tune plugs.
    http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=313579

DBStoots likes this.
  9. krash

krash Well-Known Member

Owner, I noticed, has started displaying the hook weight on their packaing, at least on the single inline replacement hook packaging.

I'd like to find a chart with the weights listed, even if it was a ball park chart, but its not a one to one comparison a #6 trebble from one manufacturer can weigh more/less than from another manufacturer, same with x/0 inline's.
    But for my purposes perhaps purchasing a cheap scale, as mentioned, and doing a little grunt work I can come up with something... it will take a while I don;t buy lures that often.
    It would be sufficient for me to list a specific lure (I only use 4 or 5 different lures) weigh up the trebbles when I remove them, list it, then also weigh up the hooks I use for replacements and get something going.
    The manufacturers could do the work for us, but its not likely they will. It would be nice if they all offered lures with the option of trebble or single, or no hooks at all.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    DBStoots and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  10. DBStoots

DBStoots I Love microskiff.com!

Krash, put that chart together for us and share it! :)