Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who replace the treble hooks on top water lures with inline hooks, do you replace the front hook facing forward or backward? I have always faced both hooks backward to avoide snags in floating grass. But, another angler recently suggested that the front hook should face forward so it won't lay flat against the body of lure when retrieving. Any experience with successful hook up ratios either way--more fish caught on the rear hook versus front hook or viceaversa under either configuration?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Forward. I made the switch last year and am not sure I prefer it on my topwater baits. I might go up a hook size on the front before going back to the trebles. I just think my hookup ratio was better with less missed fish on the treble hooks. I do like how weedless the singles are though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Opposing hook points just like pictured above. Run singles on everything from jr spooks to my tuna poppers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I switched out all mine on the CD11s we use occasionally to slow troll for tarpon in Mexico.

Hook up rate has suffered some, but not having to pull that second nasty treble hook out of a big fish’s eye is well worth it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I switch out most of mine using an assortment of hooks, started with standard J hooks using a second split ring to get them to hang/run right, then they started making inline hooks purpose built for replacement.. use which ever ones I can find Owner and/or VMC (see that other post).
I've also used circle hooks and a size smaller on the front than the back so the hooks don't tangle together as often.
I generally set them up with opposing hook setup as pictured, but recently I tried setting the hooks so both point upwards, like the rear hook, and this way in floating grass the lure generally will pass right thru shedding the grass rather than picking it up and still hook fish with that setup just as well with both hooks.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I will say this about the single hook switch out is that you get hung up less in vegetation.... Also when you do hook into a nice sized fish that damn plug is going to break before you straighten out one of those thick VMC inlines!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think you might as well take the front hook off if you face the gap of it up towards the bait. It might be "weedless" but it's going to be fishless too.
Perhaps, but I find the lure run more true to their design with both hooks installed, in lures with 3 sets of trebbles I always leave the middle one off.
You also don't get as many bites with a hunk of floating eel or turtle grass hanging on the hook, not to mention the time you spend reeling that lure up clearing the hook and trying to make a cast back to an active missed strike.

I have a friend that uses circle hooks as replacements and that does not make any sense to me either, but they catch fish with them as well asn anyone else does.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts