Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a mint condition gladesman last month and have had it out a few times the first time I took it out it ran for about 30 minutes then the primer bulb lost it's prime. I have replaced the tank,bulb,gas line and all fittings still having the same issue. The fuel tank is up front and the run is about 16 feet so my theroy is that the motor is having a hard time pulling the gas that far for reference the motor is a 05 Yami 15 4 stroke. What say you microskiffers?

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same gas tank that I used on the Spear without an issue so the tanks out and brand new industrial gas line so I am pretty sure that's out also.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely not the tank as it was used on another boat without a issue and the gas line is brand new 3/8 tubing fresh fittings on tank and motor so I am at a loss as to the issue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would try the tank connection as well as what others said with the vent. I know its never failed you before but things do happen. I bought a new fuel connector for my old boat and I found out it wasnt seating properly after a similar issue.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would try the tank connection as well as what others said with the vent. I know its never failed you before but things do happen. I bought a new fuel connector for my old boat and I found out it wasnt seating properly after a similar issue.
I will check just weird to never have an issue with any other boat I am contemplating my Mercury 25 I know that'll pull the gas back for sure.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Like others have said... its either the tank is not open on the vent, or bad primer bulb or connection of the hose to tank or motor could also fail. It's not the engine based off what I've seen if primer bulb is going flat after a few minutes of running.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It runs in the yard with no issue ran about 45 minutes the other day as soon as there is a load it acts up head scratcher.That's why I was hoping someone was having the same issue. I will be hanging the 25 on the bacj whenever I get back from our cruise.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If the tank is portable and isn't venting it will look sucked in and make a sucking noise as soon as you open it. Had the same issue with my yamaha 20 4 stroke a while back, swapped the tank and the problem stopped.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
I picked up a mint condition gladesman last month and have had it out a few times the first time I took it out it ran for about 30 minutes then the primer bulb lost it's prime. I have replaced the tank,bulb,gas line and all fittings still having the same issue. The fuel tank is up front and the run is about 16 feet so my theroy is that the motor is having a hard time pulling the gas that far for reference the motor is a 05 Yami 15 4 stroke. What say you microskiffers?
Tank vent problem. Also, have your fuel pump checked.

B

·
0 Posts
Ok Jimmy, you answered your own question brother! 3/8” fuel hose and a 16’ run is your problem. The little pump can not pull the weight of the fuel that far! Drop down to a 5/16” fuel hose and your problem will most likely be remedied! You can test the theory by putting the tank in the back with a short hose and run it before replacing all the fuel line, but I am willing to bet a sammich that this is your problem!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
If the bulb is sucked in after running a load, that’s because you are pulling more gas than air is entering the tank/vent. Basically a vacuum and at some point the fuel pump won’t pull any more. Everything works till it breaks. Don’t rule out tank or vent issue just because it used to work.
However I think Boatbrains knows more about boat motors than me.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok Jimmy, you answered your own question brother! 3/8” fuel hose and a 16’ run is your problem. The little pump can not pull the weight of the fuel that far! Drop down to a 5/16” fuel hose and your problem will most likely be remedied! You can test the theory by putting the tank in the back with a short hose and run it before replacing all the fuel line, but I am willing to bet a sammich that this is your problem!
Thanks boatbrains I'll try that

·
Registered
470 Posts
my jonboat has tank up front, with an inline filter, when i get to bout a quarter tank, i start having issues as well. check fuel level.

Also

My hobie skiff did the same thing about 5 miles off ft lauderdale, bumping around made the fuel connector from the tank to fuel line got clogged wit a tiny piece of silicone... something is clogged.

Try running a smaller line too! im running 1/4 or 5/8 in both boats.

B

·
0 Posts
Also check to see if you are "making oil" or your oil smells like fuel. I have had two Yamaha 15s of that generation come through with perforated fuel pump membranes. They would run but couldn't pull enough fuel at high throttle.
Yes, this too!

B

·
0 Posts
Also check to see if you are "making oil" or your oil smells like fuel. I have had two Yamaha 15s of that generation come through with perforated fuel pump membranes. They would run but couldn't pull enough fuel at high throttle.
Yes, this too!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts