Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
They will be just limited to California....LOL. California where in a few years you can't purchase a vehicle that uses gas but you can't charge your car during certain times because the grid can't handle the power demands.

Really, I hope that someday we get there but the technology just isn't there yet.
Just to correct one of your points - the RECOMMENDATION from the electric grid operator in CA was to reduce heavy electric appliance usage (A/C and home EV charging being two of them) during peak hours (4-9pm) during an intense heat wave we had a couple of weeks back, in order to avoid rolling blackouts.

This was NEVER a mandate, and most everyone with an EV avoids charging from 4-9p anyway, because it’s too expensive. You could still go to charging stations BTW.

This is equivalent to the situation Texas found itself in Feb 2021, during an intense cold front. Only instead of A/Cs, Texans were turning on electric heaters. But unlike Texas, we avoided any disruption in electrical service. Voluntary reductions by people in CA avoided any rolling blackouts or service interruptions.

In San Diego, where I live, SDGE has been very proactive about building out the local grid to support EVs, and incorporating renewable energy sources into their long term plans.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
16,773 Posts
Just to correct one of your points - the RECOMMENDATION from the electric grid operator in CA was to reduce heavy electric appliance usage (A/C and home EV charging being two of them) during peak hours (4-9pm) during an intense heat wave we had a couple of weeks back, in order to avoid rolling blackouts.

This was NEVER a mandate, and most everyone with an EV avoids charging from 4-9p anyway, because it’s too expensive. You could still go to charging stations BTW.

This is equivalent to the situation Texas found itself in Feb 2021, during an intense cold front. Only instead of A/Cs, Texans were turning on electric heaters. But unlike Texas, we avoided any disruption in electrical service. Voluntary reductions by people in CA avoided any rolling blackouts or service interruptions.

In San Diego, where I live, SDGE has been very proactive about building out the local grid to support EVs, and incorporating renewable energy sources into their long term plans.
Texas would have been fine if we still had the coal plants that had been decommissioned. Solar and wind are supplemental and unless you want to see fields of solar panels and wind towers everywhere you look instead of trees and grass meadows they will never come close to being enough to sustain the power needs without nuclear, oil and gas.
Good luck with your EVs over there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Texas would have been fine if we still had the coal plants that had been decommissioned. Solar and wind are supplemental and unless you want to see fields of solar panels and wind towers everywhere you look instead of trees and grass meadows they will never come close to being enough to sustain the power needs without nuclear, oil and gas.
Good luck with your EVs over there.
What caused the Texas grid problems was not the issue. My point was that what has been quoted as a state mandate to not charge EVs was incorrect. It was NOT a mandate, just a recommendation to consumers to help out with an emergency situation, so there would be no disruption in power. You could make the argument that had the Texas grid operator taken similar steps prior to the big freeze in 2021, the situation might have been avoided, or at least lessened.

Also, I never said solar or wind are the only solutions. In CA we have room for solar and wind farms, so we can make use of them, but no one in CA is saying we will rely solely on those power sources, at least in the short run. But many Target and Walmart stores, shopping malls, colleges, and businesses now have solar panels on the roofs of their buildings, or to cover their parking lots. I have solar panels on my roof, and my bill is 1/10th of what it used to be. But I still need power off the grid in the evening hours (mainly to watch TV and recharge my son's Tesla, LOL). That comes from natural gas power plants in my area. But if SDGE can drastically reduce natural gas consumption by using solar and wind, and encouraging their customers to also go down that road, I'm all for it.

BTW, I am a former Exxon petroleum engineer who owns a gas 4runner 4x4, so I don't have any particular EV agenda to promote. I think I understand the tradeoffs and impacts of gas vs. electric vehicles, and I would have to say for everything people throw at EVs and batteries in the 2020s, similar things were probably said for gas-powered vehicles and petroleum extraction in the early 1900s. The only difference is that we have the benefit of 100 years of hindsight into what could go wrong. So we need to do our best not to repeat those issues.

·
Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
253 Posts
Why is it so hard to admit that we..just..aren’t…there…yet? Battery technology has come a long way but it still has a long way to go.

I believe most of us would like it to be there but it isn’t. Ppl can hug trees, sing Kumbaya, or do whatever but it isn’t there yet.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Why is it so hard to admit that we..just..aren’t…there…yet? Battery technology has come a long way but it still has a long way to go.

I believe most of us would like it to be there but it isn’t. Ppl can hug trees, sing Kumbaya, or do whatever but it isn’t there yet.
How hard is it to admit, you will never get there without trying and no one is asking you to even try. Just existing in the same world where someone else is.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
What caused the Texas grid problems was not the issue. My point was that what has been quoted as a state mandate to not charge EVs was incorrect. It was NOT a mandate, just a recommendation to consumers to help out with an emergency situation, so there would be no disruption in power. You could make the argument that had the Texas grid operator taken similar steps prior to the big freeze in 2021, the situation might have been avoided, or at least lessened.

Also, I never said solar or wind are the only solutions. In CA we have room for solar and wind farms, so we can make use of them, but no one in CA is saying we will rely solely on those power sources, at least in the short run. But many Target and Walmart stores, shopping malls, colleges, and businesses now have solar panels on the roofs of their buildings, or to cover their parking lots. I have solar panels on my roof, and my bill is 1/10th of what it used to be. But I still need power off the grid in the evening hours (mainly to watch TV and recharge my son's Tesla, LOL). That comes from natural gas power plants in my area. But if SDGE can drastically reduce natural gas consumption by using solar and wind, and encouraging their customers to also go down that road, I'm all for it.

BTW, I am a former Exxon petroleum engineer who owns a gas 4runner 4x4, so I don't have any particular EV agenda to promote. I think I understand the tradeoffs and impacts of gas vs. electric vehicles, and I would have to say for everything people throw at EVs and batteries in the 2020s, similar things were probably said for gas-powered vehicles and petroleum extraction in the early 1900s. The only difference is that we have the benefit of 100 years of hindsight into what could go wrong. So we need to do our best not to repeat those issues.
You make some valid points. But the bolded on is flat apples and oranges. Texas had to turn up the heat to keep from freezing to death. Just a tad different.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts

Winner winner chicken dinner!

·
Registered
13 Posts
You make some valid points. But the bolded on is flat apples and oranges. Texas had to turn up the heat to keep from freezing to death. Just a tad different.
I would say maybe more like apples and pears. The point I was trying to make (not very well, apparently) is that there are any number of other cases where grid operators have to deal with temporary demands for power that far exceed their capacity. The CA operators issued that temporary REQUEST to consumers to help out, and after the heat wave ended, retracted it. Not necessarily a sign of power grid collapse.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I would say maybe more like apples and pears. The point I was trying to make (not very well, apparently) is that there are any number of other cases where grid operators have to deal with temporary demands for power that far exceed their capacity. The CA operators issued that temporary REQUEST to consumers to help out, and after the heat wave ended, retracted it. Not necessarily a sign of power grid collapse.
I get that part. Grid operators have to deal with stuff like this often. Hopefully we are all getting smarter. What I do know that is not smart, after 35 years in the nuke world is to make knee jerk decisions such as DOE shutting down fuel reprocessing in 1993 thanks to Clinton. And I see many trying to do the same thing with climate change. As most things in life both ends of the spectrum are off base. Its not a impending crisis nor is it something we should just ignore.

Here's what I know for certain. We should fish more!!!

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Righto team. I was going to tac this topic onto a recent post about electric outboards but for the life of me I cant find that thread now.

Thought I would share this because despite how deep the sand is where you live at some point your collective head will need to come up for air and alternatives will have to be found to petrol outboards. I can hear the blood pressure in you Texans rising as I type. Chill, have a beer fellas.

I saw this on the news tonight (in New Zealand) BOAT REVIEW ZeroJet OC350

It's early days but rest assured some clever kiwi's are working on an alternative. I am just going to come out and say it "before my life's end, Hal Chittum will put something like this into one of his skiffs".

Laugh all you want, he has already travelled to God's own land to talk carbon and resins with the world industry leaders. I am going to get more mileage from that yet.

Anyway, the way the water temp is rising in my fishery, I'll have your tarpon here within 10 years.

It's just a topic for thought. You can go back to your lives now.
Certainly a topic worth watching. I’m sure our forefathers had plenty of skepticism when the internal combustion engine was first unveiled!

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL, California is a state full of hypocrites , Your state would rather protect some minnow that is not even native than conserve water. Your state does not produce its own electricity even now, they demand that other states ship them power shifting the pollution to others. Your state over consumes water from other states while greenie celebs use 100,000 gallons to fill their pools and water their landscapes. The rest of the country needs to cut off California and let them live by their demands on others. Our truckers should drop shipments at the cali border in AZ rather than deal with your emissions demands that run up costs on the rest of us.

·
Registered
13 Posts
LOL, California is a state full of hypocrites , Your state would rather protect some minnow that is not even native than conserve water. Your state does not produce its own electricity even now, they demand that other states ship them power shifting the pollution to others. Your state over consumes water from other states while greenie celebs use 100,000 gallons to fill their pools and water their landscapes. The rest of the country needs to cut off California and let them live by their demands on others. Our truckers should drop shipments at the cali border in AZ rather than deal with your emissions demands that run up costs on the rest of us.
Wait, I think you left off gun laws, illegal immigration, abortion rights, homelessness, mask mandates, gas taxes and LGBTQ rights.

LOL, I don’t have the energy, desire or time to argue about how to “fix” California’s socio-political issues on a boating/fishing forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wait, I think you left off gun laws, illegal immigration, abortion rights, homelessness, mask mandates, gas taxes and LGBTQ rights.

LOL, I don’t have the energy, desire or time to argue about how to “fix” California’s socio-political issues on a boating/fishing forum.
I really don't care what Cali does as long as it stays in Cali. That goes for their politicians, HollyWeird stars and exiles coming to my state then wanting to turn it into what they are fleeing like a virus. It really is a shame what California has become since my childhood when I traveled there every summer. I had a trucking company up until 2017 and we had quit serving California due to their costs and regulations specifying equipment not required in the other 47 states and Canada. It used to be the Freedom State.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts