Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,120 Posts
People have hell with simple gas outboards can you imagine a diesel?
A friend of mine just recently had a new tender for his yacht built with diesel outboards because his yacht runs on diesel and he would be able to share fuel. He has had lots of problems with them. The Diesel outboards were built and designed primarily for the purpose of towing, pushing, moving things around at low rates of speed. When he tried to use them for fishing applications, running distances at a decent rate of speed he had multiple failures with them. He's re-fitting with gas outboards.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
16,773 Posts
A friend of mine just recently had a new tender for his yacht built with diesel outboards because his yacht runs on diesel and he would be able to share fuel. He has had lots of problems with them. The Diesel outboards were built and designed primarily for the purpose of towing, pushing, moving things around at low rates of speed. When he tried to use them for fishing applications, running distances at a decent rate of speed he had multiple failures with them. He's re-fitting with gas outboards.
Diesel engines are workhorses but these newer ones are crazy complicated. Hell, new anything is too much for a shade tree mechanic to troubleshoot or fix and it’s by design. The older ones are complicated but not as bad as the newer ones. Like trying to change the alternator on a Honda front wheel drive car…you have to remove ten big parts to get to it.

·
Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
253 Posts
Diesel engines are workhorses but these newer ones are crazy complicated. Hell, new anything is too much for a shade tree mechanic to troubleshoot or fix and it’s by design. The older ones are complicated but not as bad as the newer ones. Like trying to change the alternator on a Honda front wheel drive car…you have to remove ten big parts to get to it.
I wouldn’t say complicated. I had a Universal M25XP on my Catalina 30 and it was easy to work on and easy to trouble shoot. Normal diesels are basic animals. These new complex ones are just that, way too damned complex. The EPA had forever ruined truck diesels and they will ruin boating when they get the opportunity

·
Brandon, FL
12,567 Posts
Utility power distribution systems will need billions $ nationwide investment to handle amperage requirements
Hahahaha That is funny chit.

Billions with a B? Hell, it is a utility and nothing costs Billions. Trillions with a T!

It costs the government Billions to ship Spaghettio's.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Sharp Hooks Matter
858 Posts
Great write up. Agree with all. Not to derail, but the PWRs that I spent my career at replace approx 1/3 of the core during a refueling (18 mo cycle). The fuel is thrice burned before removal. Just FYI. Your summary of our need for nuclear power is spot on. Mark
Yes sir. We have BWR & PWRs where I work on 18 & 24 month refueling cycles. Got one coasting down now for a 09/30 start. (Sorry about the derail folks can’t help a little utility talk now & then).

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
This is where I'm at. I have no problem with electric cars, boats or whatever, but the technology has got to be good enough to allow for a seamless replacement. I'm not jumping in until upfront cost and lifetime cost of ownership is competitive with gas engines, range is competitive (the big one for me). Right now, pulling my boat, and driving by myself I can reasonably drive 800 miles in a day (about 12 hours) including fuel stops and piss stops. I did it a few times last summer. Electric needs to be able to compete with that including recharging stops. I also of course need performance, towing etc to be as good as gas. The power grid is going to have to improve to accommodate demand, and for it to be meaningful in terms of emissions reduction it's going to have to be "clean" power. They are going to have to suck it up and build more nuclear plants, it's the only way they can meet the increasing level of demand without burning fossil fuels.
I saw a Tesla parked at the Big Cajun coal power plant the other day. Gave me a good chuckle. I need to sit down and do the math and figure out if it cost more to run my primo gas lanterns on the front of the house or charge the wife's Tesla from E to full.

If we could get a 50hp electric outboard that can do 3 or 4 hours of run time and weigh less than 350 pounds, I would probably own one. My Tohatsu 50 and 12 gallons of fuel comes in at around 300 pounds so I could live with an exrtra 50.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Yes sir. We have BWR & PWRs where I work on 18 & 24 month refueling cycles. Got one coasting down now for a 09/30 start. (Sorry about the derail folks can’t help a little utility talk now & then).
I chased nukes years ago. Miss the $$$ and occasionally miss the travel. Used to have a shirt with a nuclear powered train pic on it that read “I’m not here to ride this train, I’m here to rob it”. Was always a hit during in-processing! 🤣

·
Registered
2007 Gordon Waterman , plus beat up J16 and unfinished Gheenoe project sitting in the "boneyard"
1,120 Posts
I saw a Tesla parked at the Big Cajun coal power plant the other day. Gave me a good chuckle. I need to sit down and do the math and figure out if it cost more to run my primo gas lanterns on the front of the house or charge the wife's Tesla from E to full.

If we could get a 50hp electric outboard that can do 3 or 4 hours of run time and weigh less than 350 pounds, I would probably own one. My Tohatsu 50 and 12 gallons of fuel comes in at around 300 pounds so I could live with an exrtra 50.
Make it a 70 HP for me and I could go for that if cost of ownership was a wash. My 2 stroke 70 weight about 230, a tank of fuel 120, which will get me about 110 miles.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,725 Posts
That's why I have a '94 Bronco instead of a '22!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The general public is being hoodwinked with this sort of carbon reduction tact. Utility power distribution systems will need billions $ nationwide investment to handle amperage requirements to recharge this rudimentary, environmental disastrous and expensive technology. Current neighborhood transformers simply cannot handle the load recharging in an acceptable (let’s say a few hours) time. The public is not being told anything about how much the transmission infrastructure spending will increase their monthly bills nor do many understand the disposal issues with battery components or the astronomical cost of replacement that can exceed the original cost of a vehicle or in this case motor taking inflation into account. Also, the rare earth elements used are largely held by countries that are not our friends and their mining is disastrous to the Earth. This pipe dream just trades one set of problems for another and compounds it by taking yet more control from individuals. Hydrogen will be the long term innovation area, along with expanding nuclear and reprocessing of what is now disposed fuel after a once through fuel cycle. The once through nuclear fuel cycle we practice wastes 70% of available energy in a nuclear fuel core.

(Continuous power & gas utility career since 1985 backing up my statements).
Spot on good sir. Having spent my entire career in the nuclear energy and fuel reprocessing sector I know just a little about this topic. The issues with rare earth batteries, as you lay out, are many, but the agenda pushers only are telling you one side of the story. The Idaho National Laboratory (where I worked) is at the forefront of future battery technology. They will find the eureka but its a long ways down the road before we can even begin to reasonably phase out petroleum based products. A LONG time.

·
Registered
2020 Chittum Laguna Madre 2
60 Posts
Paul Mills stated: ‘Thought I would share this because despite how deep the sand is where you live at some point your collective head will need to come up for air and alternatives will have to be found to petrol outboards.’

Yeah, no worries mate about the child slave labor in Africa and China to mine all those essential rare earth elements required for electric batteries. Who cares about those kids anyway, right mate? But at some point you’ll need to pull your collective head out of you know where.
This. No one stops to consider other "intangibles" like absolute slave labor to obtain those rare earths for the batteries, let alone headaches relative to disposal, sucky weight-to-power ratios, just a whole range of negatives. Not to mention that the power infrastructure is not capable of providing charging to millions of EVs. And renewables are a pipe dream. Possibly when free energy tech is released then real progress can be made; until then not happening.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
This. No one stops to consider other "intangibles" like absolute slave labor to obtain those rare earths for the batteries, let alone headaches relative to disposal, sucky weight-to-power ratios, just a whole range of negatives. Not to mention that the power infrastructure is not capable of providing charging to millions of EVs. And renewables are a pipe dream. Possibly when free energy tech is released then real progress can be made; until then not happening.
I mean its not "no one." Seems to be at least 50 percent of this thread. The thread isn't titled "Everyone should have a battery powered boat." Although that's what all your computers are made of as well....no problems there right?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Righto team. I was going to tac this topic onto a recent post about electric outboards but for the life of me I cant find that thread now.

Thought I would share this because despite how deep the sand is where you live at some point your collective head will need to come up for air and alternatives will have to be found to petrol outboards. I can hear the blood pressure in you Texans rising as I type. Chill, have a beer fellas.

I saw this on the news tonight (in New Zealand) BOAT REVIEW ZeroJet OC350

It's early days but rest assured some clever kiwi's are working on an alternative. I am just going to come out and say it "before my life's end, Hal Chittum will put something like this into one of his skiffs".

Laugh all you want, he has already travelled to God's own land to talk carbon and resins with the world industry leaders. I am going to get more mileage from that yet.

Anyway, the way the water temp is rising in my fishery, I'll have your tarpon here within 10 years.

It's just a topic for thought. You can go back to your lives now.
Paul-

can you give those of us who aren’t smart on this topic a bit of info about:

1) where the majority of these rare earth minerals required for this batteries are mined? And by whom?

2) how does one dispose of LiFePO batteries after their useful lives? Do they get recycled?

3) what happens when a battery spontaneously combusts, like in a Tesla… will your Marine fire extinguisher be adequate?

4). Finally, how does one charge their non-petrol motors? Do they get charged by the batteries powering your home?

thank you in advance!

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
16,773 Posts
Paul-

can you give those of us who aren’t smart on this topic a bit of info about:

1) where the majority of these rare earth minerals required for this batteries are mined? And by whom?

2) how does one dispose of LiFePO batteries after their useful lives? Do they get recycled?

3) what happens when a battery spontaneously combusts, like in a Tesla… will your Marine fire extinguisher be adequate?

4). Finally, how does one charge their non-petrol motors? Do they get charged by the batteries powering your home?

thank you in advance!
Turns out he was trolling us and laughing his kiwi ass off at us cheeky bastards…

41 - 60 of 99 Posts