Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone casted these two rod? I have a line that needs to be paired with a true to weight rod. Thinking the Zephrus or Meridian might be good options.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
168 Posts
I’ve casted the Hardy, great stick but I haven’t casted the 9 Meridian to compare, but if it were in an 8wt the nod would definitely go to the Meridian.

Reactions: brokeoff

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I could find the video I would post it. I had a 9wt Zephrus bent almost double on a 40 pound back drum and it did not break. I casted both a couple of years ago and both cast fine, but for my casting style a slight nod to the Zephrus and the fact it didn't break I'll give the edge to the Zephrus. Cast both and pick the one that feels the best to you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
so no experience with the Z but the 9 wt meridian is one sweet stick. the heavy lines bog it down but line it with a rio bonefish or permit and it sings. I have and 8 and 9 and the 9 is without question my favorite... that being said rumors are growing of a pending refresh... I have ZERO direct knowledge to confirm or deny and no source I'd consider reliable but the chatter is growing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have both. I agree with Jamie, the meridian doesnt do as well with heavier lines, but feels light and crisp with the right line. The zephrus has a bit less feel, but can bomb a line out there.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have both. I agree with Jamie, the meridian doesnt do as well with heavier lines, but feels light and crisp with the right line. The zephrus has a bit less feel, but can bomb a line out there.
I agree as well. My 9wt Zephrus (as well as my 5, 6, and 12) all handle heavier line better. For a true to weight rod/line though, my 8wt Scott is better (don't have it in a 9).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting. I have slightly different opinion. I recently cast both 9wts (mind you this was behind a shop not fishing) with a SA Grand slam line.

I thought the hardy was better inclose and at distance, while the meridian was better in the middle distances.

I felt the biggest difference was in the design of the taper of the rod. The hardy felt to have a softer tip, as well as flexing deeper into the blank, while not being a slow rod by any means. Power was easily accessible with a normal casting stroke.

In the meridian, I felt the rod come alive once more of the head of the fly line was out of the rod tip. Still a very nice casting rod. I was surprised, as this is not what I was anticipating. It could likely be due to difference in taper design between 8wt and 9wt rods.

My obvious disclaimer is that I’m no master caster or rod designer lol!

·
Registered
183 Posts
The Hardy sintrix rods are strong. Not sure about the Scott, so I cant comment there. A downside of Hardy is that it has changed ownership 4 times in the past 8 years (same team of engineers and products managers have stayed with company though).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Both are great rods. The meridian is more forgiving on your casting stroke. I own both of these in a 8wt but have fished both in a 9wt. The 9wt meridian is a completely different rod then the 8wt. As Greg’s video showed the Hardy is a tough rod. I folded one up clearing a T-motor when a dolphin(not mahi) decided to eat my lady fish I had hooked up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I own 2 Meridians and have casted a friend's Zephrus 9. Would agree with much written above...the Z can really punch some line, but the accuracy and balance of the M series continues to impress me every time I cast one. The M feels super light in your hand and its just a better match for my casting style...
Definitely cast each with your given line of interest...totally different animals! I feel like the Z is much more similar to your Exocetts than a M would be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts