Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As my finger dexterity has dropped a bit, I have been using a 3-4 wrap yucatan knot in the heavier leader knots. Much easier for me to tie these days. Seems good so far and I haven’t had any slips but no really good fish that really tested it.
Curious if there are any long term users of it.

And I apologize in advance for asking a knot question ;)

i should have included a link and I do not tie a bimini or spider first.

E750CF48-AA85-44F2-9672-769B1D279C12.jpeg

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
My brain can barely remember the 3 or 4 knots I use now. I'm resisting looking at it on YouTube :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brain can barely remember the 3 or 4 knots I use now. I'm resisting looking at it on YouTube :ROFLMAO:
So freaking true... I think most on youtube tie it wrong. Double thinner line and wrap it around heavier line. Grab tag of heavier line and pull it through double loop. Snug tags then tighten main.
Tied backwards from reverse Albright, but functionally they seem to cinch down similarly.

·
waterman 16
420 Posts
Nothing wrong with a yucatan knot. I use a bimini in front; it's a great knot. I use it from braid to leader on spinners, too. If I don't use the FG.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,994 Posts
I don't know the Yucatan knot yep I'm YouTubeing it

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing wrong with a yucatan knot. I use a bimini in front; it's a great knot. I use it from braid to leader on spinners, too. If I don't use the FG.
Same with me on spinners, FG or yucatan. 14 wraps for braid. Much easier for me than albright, blood, nail etc.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,994 Posts
As my finger dexterity has dropped a bit, I have been using a 3-4 wrap yucatan knot in the heavier leader knots. Much easier for me to tie these days. Seems good so far and I haven’t had any slips but no really good fish that really tested it.
Curious if there are any long term users of it.

And I apologize in advance for asking a knot question ;)

i should have included a link and I do not tie a bimini or spider first.

View attachment 173691 View attachment 173691
What I looked up on YouTube said do an over hand knot on the leader first

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I looked up on YouTube said do an over hand knot on the leader first
The older method was around doing a bimini first and everything was around blue water and tuna fishing. I used to do bimini’s first on heavy tackle and the. Did away with it on inshore stuff. Then I thought this would work easier (for me) on fly leaders.

now I just wrap the double line not the single, but I have done both and they seem to look identical when cinched. I was taught yucatan was skinny line doubled wrapped around heavier line, I don’t know that it matters

Below is how I tie it. Just FYI 10lb braid to leader 14 wraps. 40lb leader to 30lb leader 3 wraps, 20-30 leader 4 wraps, 20-15 leader 5. And I have no scientific reasonother than OCD for the number of wraps. And yes the title says alternative and then he ties a Yucatan :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
That’s basically a “no name” knot used in offshore billfishing. It’s a great knot and pretty much the only way I connect my class tippet to shock tippet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts