Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who have hired a guide in the past, does the manufacturer of the guide's boat/skiff influence your decision at all for hiring that guide? Assuming you are fishing only, not in the market for a new boat.

-Scott

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I’m going to jump in even though I have never hired a guide. I suppose if you were very large, wobbly on your feet or needed comfy seating through out the day I would say yes. If you are an average person in size and physical capabilities then you could handle being on any type of boat if it got you to your target species.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Depends on the type of fishing...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Sure, let's assume we are talking flats.
Bait? Spin? Fly?

Are you crossing any large pieces of exposed water to get to those flats?

Are we talking 6" deep flats or 2' deep flats?

Your guide needs the right tool for the job...

For example...if I'm looking to sight cast on fly in skinny water I'm not hiring a guide who thinks he's gonna troll in there on the high so I can blind cast. I'm looking for a guide with a skiff that can get skinny and a guide who knows how to use a push pole.

But if I'm taking my daughter out with me I'm probably looking for someone with a flats boat that has the beam and free board to safely cross open water and a trolling motor to bounce us from point to point so she can soak bait...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bait? Spin? Fly?

Are you crossing any large pieces of exposed water to get to those flats?

Are we talking 6" deep flats or 2' deep flats?

Your guide needs the right tool for the job...

For example...if I'm looking to sight cast on fly in skinny water I'm not hiring a guide who thinks he's gonna troll in there on the high so I can blind cast. I'm looking for a guide with a skiff that can get skinny and a guide who knows how to use a push pole.

But if I'm taking my daughter out with me I'm probably looking for someone with a flats boat that has the beam and free board to safely cross open water and a trolling motor to bounce us from point to point so she can soak bait...
Alright, maybe I need to be more specific. Does the manufacturer of the boat influence your decision?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I edited my first question again. Does the manufacturer of the skiff the guide runs, influence your decision to hire said guide?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hell no. I know a few guides that run Mavericks solely because they have a better "Guide Program" than HB, Chittum, etc...
Very much so, I do believe HB is stepping up their guide program because their business has fallen off considerably. Just look at wait time for a HB vs an East cape

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,506 Posts
Don't care. If we're going off shore i would expect the boat not to leak. That's all
i been in all kinds of skiffs and caught zero so it's not the boat

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
Alright, maybe I need to be more specific. Does the manufacturer of the boat influence your decision?
I based a couple of my guide choices on that when I was evaluating which NEW skiff to buy. Though they were just one day bookings I was able to see strengthes and weaknesses that I never would have seen on a one hour demo ride.

One of those choices was bad for both the boat and the guide. In hind sight I wish I had fished with the more reputable guide from an older boat very similar to the one I owned at the time.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts