Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
Thanks for your input!! I love the 100/50/100% breakdown.. I never thought to think how much water I need to operate my trolling motor. Definitely more then my Moccasin draws with me on the bow. I've bottomed out the TM with it as high as operationally possible and the Moccasin still floats. So by that standard I guess if you're relying solely on a trolling motor then a super shallow draft boat doesn't make a shit of difference if you need more water to operate the TM in then the boat needs to float.
I have the exact same experience with my Moccasin. The good news is the trolling motor acts like a curb feeler and you never get the hull grounded. If you can set-up a drift you can actually fish 12" of water but as soon as you put the TM down in 12-14" and chopping the surface of the water to get back to deeper water.. you better be done fishing that area for awhile.

I have some time on a Marquesa but not a Chittum. Marquesa has a great ride but "great" is subjective... it is not a 21ft Egret by any means.

So anyway, I know your situation very well. If all goes well this year, I may sell the Moccasin to build a 28' CC and buy a $20K skiff or may even a jon boat. If not, then I will keep the Moccasin as my do-it-all boat and on occasion mothership my SUP.

The only thing you gain by going to a 12 degree skiff over your Egret Moccasin is the ability to pole it and then you sacrifice significant comfort and versatility offshore. If keeping the Moccasin, I will double-down on my recommendation to go with the shallowest drafting skiff I could get which may be a 16 ft jon boat.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have the exact same experience with my Moccasin. The good news is the trolling motor acts like a curb feeler and you never get the hull grounded. If you can set-up a drift you can actually fish 12" of water but as soon as you put the TM down in 12-14" and chopping the surface of the water to get back to deeper water.. you better be done fishing that area for awhile.

I have some time on a Marquesa but not a Chittum. Marquesa has a great ride but "great" is subjective... it is not a 21ft Egret by any means.

So anyway, I know your situation very well. If all goes well this year, I may sell the Moccasin to build a 28' CC and buy a $20K skiff or may even a jon boat. If not, then I will keep the Moccasin as my do-it-all boat and on occasion mothership my SUP.

The only thing you gain by going to a 12 degree skiff over your Egret Moccasin is the ability to pole it and then you sacrifice significant comfort and versatility offshore. If keeping the Moccasin, I will double-down on my recommendation to go with the shallowest drafting skiff I could get which may be a 16 ft jon boat.
Fully agree. I'm keeping my Moccasin with the intention to get something I can fish where she won't take me especially on negative tides.
We'll see how it goes in a couple of weeks..
Thanks again guys you're all great!!

I Love microskiff.com!
I have a Nitro 2200 bay boat, don't know the deadrise but guess around 12. It is a rolled-edge boat, tunnel hull and poles in 8". Has a poling platform and two power poles. I have had this boat since 2002, third outboard now, 2017 150 Mercury 4-stroke. Used it for years to pole for tailing reds and run up to 25 miles offshore. Bought a poling skiff that floats in 5", still used the bay boat for outside. The skiff is very limited in rough water but I like the 5" poling ability and fish places where I don't have to cross much rough water. Thought about replacing the skiff with a BT Mosquito but finally decided I liked the 5" capability of the skiff I had over the 7" minimum of the Mosquito. Then I got a 23' CC for outside and have not run the bay boat in two years. Hate to give it up as it is so versatile but I don't want to see it sit and go downhill.

I hope that something in this disjointed, rambling monologue will help you in the decision-making process. Bottom line is the bay boat worked for poling but the skiff is better and the bay boat worked for outside but the CC is better.

Reactions: Vinny L

Registered
I fish the other side of charlotte harbor in the matlacha and bokeelia area and I would definitely want something with a little more V because that area can get nasty when crossing open water. Are there many areas on the "other side" that are really that skinny?

Registered
Vinny, We have a shack down on LGI. I have a HB Waterman 18 and it works well for that area, but I would get the 12 degree skiff. The 12 degree will make life much easier when you decide to cross Charlotte Harbor and fish Pine Island for the day. The wind can kick up pretty good in the afternoon.

Maybe I will see you down there soon.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I fish the other side of charlotte harbor in the matlacha and bokeelia area and I would definitely want something with a little more V because that area can get nasty when crossing open water. Are there many areas on the "other side" that are really that skinny?
Whidden and Catfish creek I figure? I spent the summer there with my Moccasin and never really went any further then Devil fish to TC and BB. I fished the surrounding areas and never really went further. I'm also thinking about trailering it around. My hands are no longer tied by time and responsibility so I don't want any limitations placed on me. I love my Moccasin and may not add to it but if I do I want my homework done so when and if I pull the trigger I know what I want based on the input from you guys as well my soon to be experiences on these skinny water boats. I've fished on a Marquesa several times in Islamorada and a Whipray in Bull Bay Charleston SC. I'll be fishing with a couple Capt. from the area one with a 2 and the other a 12 degree Mangroves. I'll have more info then.
Not sure if any of the above makes any sense. I'm rushing through my day, tomorrow is my last day after 30 years of teaching then I'm southbound for good.
Thanks guys

Registered
I'm looking at The Mangrove in 12/2 degree and the HB Pro. I'm fishing on both in a couple of weeks which will certainly help in the decision and that's only if I decide to go with a second boat.
I鈥檇 say go mangrove 12. With 70hp or less. (Max 250lb motor)

That boat drafts shallower than alot of flat bottom boats. It鈥檚 light as hell.

7鈥 is a lot shallower than people think.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Vinny, We have a shack down on LGI. I have a HB Waterman 18 and it works well for that area, but I would get the 12 degree skiff. The 12 degree will make life much easier when you decide to cross Charlotte Harbor and fish Pine Island for the day. The wind can kick up pretty good in the afternoon.

Maybe I will see you down there soon.
Looking forward to it. I plan to fish that area this spring with my Moccasin. Pm me we鈥檒l hook up and fish together. I鈥檓 at Placida Beach Condos #203.

Registered
I鈥檓 not familiar with the area you fish, so my suggestion may be way off. But in your situation I鈥檇 go with the shallower draft boat and just take it easy crossing the big water. If you are looking at a major big water trip every time you fish, you may want to consider motherboating kayaks or SUPs to your fishing area instead of another powerboat. I know that鈥檚 blasphemous on a microskiff forum, but it may be your best option. How much of your trip is open water, and how far would you have to paddle / pole the yak / SUP? Will the bottom support a wading stalk once you spot fish? Again, I don鈥檛 know that area, so I apologize if my suggestions are untenable.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I鈥檓 not familiar with the area you fish, so my suggestion may be way off. But in your situation I鈥檇 go with the shallower draft boat and just take it easy crossing the big water. If you are looking at a major big water trip every time you fish, you may want to consider motherboating kayaks or SUPs to your fishing area instead of another powerboat. I know that鈥檚 blasphemous on a microskiff forum, but it may be your best option. How much of your trip is open water, and how far would you have to paddle / pole the yak / SUP? Will the bottom support a wading stalk once you spot fish? Again, I don鈥檛 know that area, so I apologize if my suggestions are untenable.
Excellent suggestions. Thank you

Registered
^^^^^ @hipshot I think thats pretty much what i already suggested, but i listed SUP,And the L2Fish the SUP For ease of carrying and the L2 Fish for older gentlemen that need a more stable platform 馃憤 plus i read the L2fish is around 50 lbs

Registered
^^^^^ @hipshot I think thats pretty much what i already suggested, but i listed SUP,And the L2Fish the SUP For ease of carrying and the L2 Fish for older gentlemen that need a more stable platform 馃憤 plus i read the L2fish is around 50 lbs
The Manta racks that can carry a L2Fish is the best way to go that I know. The issue is you need 2 rod holders spaced at the proper interval on the gunnel to mount the rack. Until if and when I get another set of rod holders installed (which may possibly interfere my under-gunnel rod storage), I have an inflatable SUP with an electric pump. Not as good as L2Fish.

Carbon Marine's 3-piece 15' Traveler push pole works well for the SUP if you don't already have one and stores under the gunnel.

Registered
Can't help but ask if you are going out with Austin Lowder. His 12" rise Chittum is impressive. You will be spoiled on the skiff and with Austin if Austin. When he first go that skiff we ran literally over sand with it. Of course they have a price tag these days. I passed on a demo for what was then a great price. Ahhhh.
@7WT This thread is exactly my dilemma....

Registered
2019 East Cape Vantage
Whidden and Catfish creek I figure? I spent the summer there with my Moccasin and never really went any further then Devil fish to TC and BB. I fished the surrounding areas and never really went further. I'm also thinking about trailering it around. My hands are no longer tied by time and responsibility so I don't want any limitations placed on me. I love my Moccasin and may not add to it but if I do I want my homework done so when and if I pull the trigger I know what I want based on the input from you guys as well my soon to be experiences on these skinny water boats. I've fished on a Marquesa several times in Islamorada and a Whipray in Bull Bay Charleston SC. I'll be fishing with a couple Capt. from the area one with a 2 and the other a 12 degree Mangroves. I'll have more info then.
Not sure if any of the above makes any sense. I'm rushing through my day, tomorrow is my last day after 30 years of teaching then I'm southbound for good.
Thanks guys
Congratulations on your retirement Vinny. Wish you the best!
Mac

Registered
After fishing off of SUPs for a long time I don't know if I'd ever want to go back to that after getting a skiff.

If you got a gladesman and kept it really simple and light you could launch it almost anywhere that you could launch an SUP. 10 horse motor, no batteries, minimal gear.....Pretty much the perfect super shallow setup.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts