Yeti Ram ball mount for GPS

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by jmrodandgun, Mar 5, 2014.

1. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

I have been looking for a way to mount my handheld where it's easily seem. My boat is a tiller with no console and I really did not want the added clutter or weight of a console or 12v system. What I ended up with is a 1'' Ram ball with 1/4-20 male threaded post and a brass threaded insert. I drilled a 3/8 inch hole in the side of a Yeti and then used a razor to give the hole a small bevel to help the epoxy bond the insert to the plastic. I used Six-10 which was probably overkill but I had a tube of it laying around already.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

That's friggen slick! Let me know how that holds up!

3. jmrodandgun

The only issue with mounting a threaded ram ball on a vertical surface is any negative torque on the ball and it unscrews. To solve this issue the best thing to do would be use a base with a ball permanently attached, but then it couldn't be easily removed.

The second best solution I have found is to mount your arm a few degrees right of center. This keeps the torque on the positive side of the threaded ball.

We toyed with the idea of attaching a ram ball to an expansion plug. It would be a rock solid mount and would eliminate the negatives of a threaded ball with keeping the ability to quickly and cleanly remove the mounting ball. I've just been too lazy to work on the idea. Plus I don't know if an expansion plug small enough even exists. I think the smallest ones I've seen are 3/4 inch, and even I wouldn't want to drill a hole that big in my ice chest.

4. jmrodandgun

It held up great when only holding my phone or Garmin 62. In rough chop it would back off the threads. I ended up sinking another insert next to it and mounting a Ram diamond base. This way the ball is fixed and can take more pressure. I've run with my 1D and big heavy 24-70L through chop and it didn't budge. MUCH better set up.

I used two 1/4-20 brass threaded inserts and sank them flush with the outer shell of the Yeti. Then I used two 3/4 inch stainless 1/4-20 machine screws to attach the diamond base to the threaded inserts. I used a little dab of locktite to hold them in place but not make them hard to remove.

I did this just in case I ever wanted/needed to take the ball off the side of the Yeti. Now that it is all together I hardly notice the ball sticking off the side. At least the option is there if I ever wanted to take it off.

5. shiprock8

shiprock8 HB Whipray 16

Great idea mounting GPS on the Yetti.  After reading this post,  I just put my Garmin 640 with a Ram suction mount on my Yetti and it works perfect.  I have traveled several hundred miles with the Ram stuck to the boat and spent hours on the water without the suction cup coming loose.  It's completely portable, no holes. 

[​IMG]