Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Yamaha Tiller pulling to the right... Any thoughts??

10K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  wrv993 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a Yamaha 25hp 2-stroke precision blend (I believe the year is 95). The motor starts and runs great (for the most part). The only problem is that it wants to pull to the right pretty hard... hard enough to make my arm tired after a while and making it a little difficult to turn left.  I have adjusted the anode around and it doesnt seem to make a difference. I have ran the motor on a few trim settings also... still not much of a difference. I have ran the motor with and without a manual jack plate... still not much difference. Also, the motor has been ran on two different skiffs, so i know the boats not the problem. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions... i am no marine mechanic lol

Discussion starter · #3 ·
the skiff is an old hull i rebuilt a little ago... no brand. I would not say a 25hp is overpower for it, its just right I do 29-31 WOT with two people. boat drafts fine and sits well in the water with the 25hp.  i temporarily had a 15hp on it and that was pretty under power for it.

dont really have any pics of the hull at the moment besides this...

Discussion starter · #4 ·
btw forgot to mention its a short shaft... cant really tell but the cavitation plate is slightly above the bottom of the hull, i do not cavitate how it is currently set. the skiff is 13.5 ft

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Tighten up the steering friction/tension nut.

Which way did you adjust the anode? You should move it the same direction as it's pulling.

If the motor is not centered on the boat properly it will cause it to pull hard one way or the other.
adjusted both directions. it is centered properly. it was ran on another boat (also centered properly) and still pulled the same way. i'm out of town for a few days so ill have to muck with it when i get back.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
This
Nice skiff btw, I had the same one.
Really tippy but very dry riding
yes it is pretty tippy, but it def beats my old 13 gheenoe lol... first time i drove the skiff i was pretty impressed on how dry and well it handled in such crappy conditions...

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Tighten up the steering friction/tension nut.
tension is the only thing I havn't adjusted... I can't seem to find the tension nut. it's not in the same area as it was on my yamaha 15 2 stroke. where are they usually located?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.