Yamaha Tiller pulling to the right... Any thoughts??

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by wrv993, Mar 31, 2013.

1. wrv993

wrv993 I Love microskiff.com!

I recently picked up a Yamaha 25hp 2-stroke precision blend (I believe the year is 95). The motor starts and runs great (for the most part). The only problem is that it wants to pull to the right pretty hard... hard enough to make my arm tired after a while and making it a little difficult to turn left.  I have adjusted the anode around and it doesnt seem to make a difference. I have ran the motor on a few trim settings also... still not much of a difference. I have ran the motor with and without a manual jack plate... still not much difference. Also, the motor has been ran on two different skiffs, so i know the boats not the problem. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions... i am no marine mechanic lol

2. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

What type of boat are you running it on. Is it overpowered?

3. wrv993

the skiff is an old hull i rebuilt a little ago... no brand. I would not say a 25hp is overpower for it, its just right I do 29-31 WOT with two people. boat drafts fine and sits well in the water with the 25hp.  i temporarily had a 15hp on it and that was pretty under power for it.

dont really have any pics of the hull at the moment besides this...

[​IMG]

4. wrv993

btw forgot to mention its a short shaft... cant really tell but the cavitation plate is slightly above the bottom of the hull, i do not cavitate how it is currently set. the skiff is 13.5 ft

5. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

Tighten up the steering friction/tension nut.

Which way did you adjust the anode? You should move it the same direction as it's pulling.

If the motor is not centered on the boat properly it will cause it to pull hard one way or the other.

6. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

This
    Nice skiff btw, I had the same one.
    Really tippy but very dry riding

7. wrv993

adjusted both directions. it is centered properly. it was ran on another boat (also centered properly) and still pulled the same way. i'm out of town for a few days so ill have to muck with it when i get back.

8. wrv993

yes it is pretty tippy, but it def beats my old 13 gheenoe lol... first time i drove the skiff i was pretty impressed on how dry and well it handled in such crappy conditions...

9. Creek Runner

If everything else is right then ^ this

10. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Just out of curiosity...is it on backwards? I have seen more than one on wrong.

11. danville_marine

danville_marine I Love microskiff.com!

i've seen snow grips tires on the rear of a frt wheel drive car so anything is possible

12. wrv993

haha no I am sure it's not on backwards...

13. wrv993

tension is the only thing I havn't adjusted... I can't seem to find the tension nut. it's not in the same area as it was on my yamaha 15 2 stroke. where are they usually located?

14. Creek Runner

On the swivel bracket just below the lower pan. Port side

15. wrv993

thanks ill look again when im back home