Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I am buying a new skiff and I haven't owned a 2 stroke in 12 years or so. I have a bay boat with a 250 VMAX SHO on it and I have run this stuff religiously and it has run great since day one.

Question is, I will have an Etec 60 on this new skiff, what should I run to keep carbon down?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Talk to your BRP dealer... E-Tecs aren't anything like the old carbureted two strokes... I've been running them since 2005 and like the three I've had a lot (they are all 90's...). My current one has over 2000 hours on it - in hard commercial service.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I just wanted to get some opinions and real world experience. We all know there are agendas out there for dealers often times. Not saying always but its good to get a breadth of opinions from many sources to form a better decision.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
an added FYI... I've never run anything but ethanol laced fuel in my E-Tecs - without the slightest problem ... I was worried about it and learned that these motors aren't nearly as fuel sensitive as some brands I can think of. This, when other makes were actually carrying extra fuel filters because of serious ethanol fuel problems, years ago.

I'm very aware that each manufacturer has their own preferred lubricants and fuel additives - and they're a significant profit maker. In the case of BRP - all of the E-Tec power packages were actually computer designed - before the first part for one was ever made... That's why I recommend that you listen carefully to what your dealer (particularly the techs...) have to say. The lower units are little different than they ever were - the powerplants are quite a bit different... very fuel efficient, and absolutely cleaner burning than the newest four stroke (like I said - not your old carbed two stroke at all...).

I chose to run XD 50 oil from the first (when I got my first one the XD 100 wasn't widely available..). It's a semi-synthetic two stroke oil for a 50 to 1 mix. The XD 100 is a fully synthetic oil in comparison but doesn't provide a full 100 to 1 ratio (believe it's around 87 to 1...) -but if you have your tech set the motor up to run on it... it will have to have the XD 100 until it's been set back to run the semi-synthetic oil... No other oil will do (not the case with the standard 50 to 1 setting..).

Post up what you learn and pass on whatever you hear from your tech...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I run a etec 50 .i asked the owner of the evinrude shop here and he said stop using all the additives. Just gas it up and go. Thats 4 years ago and havnt had any issues. My shop charges $25 to refill the xd 50 jug from there bulk drum. Prices have gone up on the oil but its not that bad

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
722 Posts
so worth tuning for XD 100 or not?
IMO, no. I currently have 4 (+2) in service at my office and even the brand new 150’s are tuned to 50. These are full commercial service engines and the (+2) are vintage ‘08. We have found no reason to move to 100 and price really isn’t a consideration.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10-4, I am crazy about maintenance on equipment and just want to apply best methods. Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know this is a little off subject but would anyone have recommendation for a lithium cranking battery for this motor?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Mechanic recomended this additive. I buy the xd 100. A gallon last well over a year with a 30hp.
20190214_185608.jpg

·
Registered
745 Posts
so worth tuning for XD 100 or not?
I had my ETEC 60 set to the XD100 use after running about 60 hours on the normal setting. I had still been using XD100 oil though. In my limited experience running about 30 more hours I would say that the outboard uses quite a bit less than HALF the oil on the XD100 setting. Unfortunately I don't have a quantitative measurement, but it is significantly lower

·
Registered
745 Posts
So it seems I need to have the ETEC programmed for xd100, thanks for the input
Need? no, but you will certainly use more oil than necessary (as determined by the BRP engineers that programmed the oil injection rates) if you don't. A lot of owners and even mechanics believe that they would prefer the "extra protection" of too much oil by using XD100 on the regular setting. And the cost savings of using less oil are not significant as an overall operating expense. Me? I have a 10 year warranty on my outboard and if the manual says it is ok to run a setting that uses less oil I'm going to do it not just for the cost, but the convenience of not filling up the oil tank as much as well as not putting as much unused oil through the exhaust and into the environment.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts