Yamaha Prop On Merc Motor?

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by HaMm3r, Aug 28, 2013.

1. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Anyone used a Yamaha 10-spline prop on a Merc 10-spline outboard? I've heard they're more or less interchangeable, and 10-spline Merc prop choices are somewhat limited. I like have more options...

For that matter, anyone tried running an over-hub exhaust prop on a thru-hub lower unit? How big of a problem with ventilation does that create?

2. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has answered this ...

I DO and have run Yamaha props on a 25 hp merc . The prop ran great ! but it was NOT 100% "right" had to play with the spacers I don't have one right in front of me but one is open in the front and one is open in the back .

I have never run an over hub prop on that motor ...but they are available and gawd awful expensive ! :eek:

3. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

Most Merc and Yamaha props are interchangeable, but you have to run different hard ware. Ie Thrust washer.

4. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

That's what I keep telling people

current case 30 hp tohatsu / yamaha prop figure out how much extra space you have then chuck up your spacer in a lathe and part it where needed face both pieces put the extra piece on after the prop with a thin washer and you are good to go ...