Yamaha model F15MSHY oil coming through carb !!!

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Izzy11, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Izzy11

Izzy11 Backwater boy for life

Long story short !

I was idling for a long period of time when I noticed oil coming out of the carb air intake ... Looked like chocolate milk ! I quickly stopped running it .

Well everyone is saying it's a head gasket ? I drained the oil and restarted it with fresh oil and put the hose on it and it started on the first pull . Then I disconnected the hose after a minute. Drained the oil and it had water in it again ! ?

I did this two or three times to check because I thought maybe when I changed the oil a week ago I didn't tighten up the drain bolt and water leaked in ? Well that wasn't it .

I even pulled the plugs and turned her over and nothing came out . Plugs looked nasty ! ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated ! Also.. I ordered the head gasket, valve cover gasket and exhaust gasket.

I guess my question is...... Do you guys think it's just a head gasket? And do I need any other gaskets or anything else before I get started ? Also.... I need diagram or info on torking down the bolts and I need to know how to make sure I don't mess up the timing ?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

A 4 stroke bleeding oil out the carb can't be good.
    If it was just oil I'd say look at the oil baffle on the crankcase scavenger tube.
    Finding water in the crankcase oil is a much bigger worry.
    Chasing down the leak isn't going to be any fun.
    Gaskets, seals, corroded fittings, cracked metal components...I don't envy you.

How old is the outboard? :-?

3. Izzy11

Thanks for the reply ..... I took it apart and found a bad head gasket tonight .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here's the gasket... It's split and chipped where my pointing finger is..
    [​IMG]

4. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Looks alot better than it did down in "Nightmare"!!

5. Izzy11

Hay walt .... I'm still waiting for my parts but it's lookin ok so far.  I can't wait to get the new gasket on and test her out .

Man you were right about it being the gasket ;)

6. levip

levip I Love microskiff.com!

gotta love those fourstrokes ....