Yamaha Launches 25-Horse Four Strokes

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by iMacattack, Feb 14, 2009.

1. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Yamaha Launches 25-Horse Four Strokes

Miami - February 12, 2009
    – Yamaha Marine Group today introduced two new 25-horsepower, four-stroke outboards, the F25 and the T25. Great for aluminum fishing boats, inflatables and small pontoons, these versatile outboards rival Yamaha’s two-strokes for top-end performance but offer the fuel efficiency and smoothness customers have come to expect from a four stroke.

“Putting a four-stoke 25 in our current lineup is really about meeting the needs of our dealers in key regions of the country,” said John Rigsby, Yamaha Marine Group National Sales Manager. “There are applications, particularly in the Midwest, where our F20 is just not enough outboard and our F40 is too much. Yamaha dealers asked for this addition to our line, and we heard them.”

The F25 and its sibling -- the high-thrust T25 – both use a 498 cc two-cylinder, single overhead-camshaft powerhead. Its block and cylinder head are all new, and it shares connecting rods, pistons and valves with the Yamaha F60 powerhead. The F25/T25 powerhead features a new tuned long-intake track manifold, micro computer controlled ignition and Yamaha’s PrimeStart™ system for outstanding fuel efficiency, easy starting, fast acceleration and excellent top-end speed.

Another feature for the tiller model of the F25 is a new, robust tiller handle and steering bracket for reduced flex and increased stability. Remote versions of the F25 can also be fitted with Yamaha’s award-winning Multi-Function Tiller Handle. In addition, the 15-inch shaft F25 features a new lower mount for reduced vibration.

Like the F20 and F40, the F25 and T25 use an integral engine monitoring and warning system and Yamaha’s Ultimate Corrosion Protection System. The high-thrust T25 features a standard Yamaha Dual Thrust™ propeller, a high 2:42 to 1 gear ratio, electric start and remote control, making it ideal for small pontoons, sailboats and workboats.

The F25 is available with shaft lengths of 15” and 20”. The T25 comes with a 20” shaft. Both sport new graphics and a lower-profile cowl.

Yamaha Marine Group, based in Kennesaw, Ga., supports its 2,200 U.S. dealers and OEM partners with marketing, training and parts for Yamaha’s full line of products and strives to be the industry leader in reliability, technology and customer service. Yamaha Marine is the only outboard brand to have earned NMMA®’s C.S.I. Customer Satisfaction Index award every year since its inception. Visit www.yamahaoutboards.com.

###

This document contains many of Yamaha's valuable trademarks. It may also contain trademarks belonging to other companies. Any references to other companies or their products are for identification purposes only, and are not intended to be an endorsement

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

uuummmmm, 173 lbs

3. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

78.6kg (Esitimated) [smiley=flush.gif]

4. iMacattack

small 4 strokes... get use to it...

5. orlgheenoer

orlgheenoer Well-Known Member

fifteen more pounds and you can have the t50 with Power trim and everything.

The engine does sound very reliable and fuel efficient.

6. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

yeah, i know, but that is like give or take a few, it is still a friggin heavy engine

don't have too, I went with the hawttie tldi

7. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

I will take 20hp 4-stroke tiller (115lbs) any day over this hefty 175lbs 25hp 4-stroke yamaha!

8. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Ouch!! Imagine this pig on the back of a 15' john boat!!

Too heavy, they won't be a hit with this motor which is a shame. :( All this time we waited for Yamaha's void of motors between the 20 and 40 and this was the best they could come up with?

60+ lbs for 5 hp more over their 20????

Didn't the "old" version of the 25 weigh in at a 4-banger "competetive" ~155lbs?

Face it, the merc/tohatsu 25's at 158lbs are too heavy for most small skiffs, that's why you see so many with doel-fins, etc on them; to combat the squat and porpoise issues that come from having too much weight at the rear.

For Yamaha to come out with something 20lbs heavier than the merc, without the shifter handle tiller, and without the EFI (at a higher price point no doubt) than others in the market isn't industry-breaking news IMHO.

I'm sure they will sell motors as it is a Yamaha, but I'd love to see something hit the market lighter, with some new features or selling points.

Why not just give us the same old 25 they used to have out at a lowered cost. Anyone miss that one?

“Putting a four-stoke 25 in our current lineup is really about meeting the needs of our dealers in key regions of the country,” said John Rigsby, Yamaha Marine Group National Sales Manager. “There are applications, particularly in the Midwest, where our F20 is just not enough outboard and our F40 is too much. Yamaha dealers asked for this addition to our line, and we heard them.” [smiley=bs.gif] [smiley=lalalala.gif]

Not sure who did the market research on this motor, but give me some real improvements for the small skiff market (maybe I'm off with the target market for a 25?) then I'll jump back on the Yamaha wagon.

-T

9. Flyline

Flyline Won "Do More With Less" Award!

I'm totally agree with you !

they should think something like F20 bored out piston, bigger jets, carburator and exaust tuner to save all the weight!

This new generation yamaha 25hp 4-stroke won't able to perform like a Mercury 25hp with EFI and free battery maintence!

Yamaha 25hp 4-strokes will crash again in the future.........just another pig coming on.

10. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Wow, I just read my post and it seemed pretty harsh!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't mean it to come across that way, but you get the picture. Too little dollars floating around in the boating industry today, so manufacturers had better give consumers a darned good reason to spend their money with them.

I'm not seeing that with the new 25 release.

-T

11. iMacattack

I spoke to a LOT of engine folks and skiff folks at the miami show. Here is the general consensus. New motors are going to be heavier. Fact of life. All engine manufactures know this is an issue and are working to develop lighter, more efficient, more enviro friendly motors. There is a point however where the boat builder will have to step up to the game and re think how they design and build their skiffs and more importantly how they balance them with placement of fuel tanks etc. It's a challenge to say the least. But between gov mandates, fuel costs, product dev costs, material costs... well you get the point.

Believe me I loved my 112lb Merc 25 Classic. But those days are gone. Skiff manufactures have to evolve to match the technology and weights of engines. There are some who I think do this well. There are some that have not come to grips with the weight issue yet.

Cheers

12. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Which still doesn't change one fact: That motor is too heavy for 95% of the boats on this forum :D

I would think, additionally, that if one had a boat that had enough beam to float that motor correctly, it would be rated for a lot more than 25hp.

Should be a good pontoon boat motor though.

-T

13. iMacattack

No they just put the fuel tank in the wrong place.   :D ;D Put the beer cooler further forward and you'll be fine... Just ask Curtis!  ;D ;D :D :D ;) ;)

14. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

This has been discussed before.

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1205097407

Did you notice that they did not say equals or exceeds 2 stroke performance? That's pretty telling considering that its in the marketing material. I will never buy a 4stroke 25 HP motor at their current weight and performance characteristics. I have little of no interest in fuel consumption. I want light weight performance. Yamaha is going to have to do much better before I will drink the Kool Aid. Until then its used 2 stroke motors for me. There might even be a business in it for someone who rebuilds 2 strokes and sells them with a warranty.

15. 1BadPFS

1BadPFS Built not bought...

The truth hurts.  ;D +1 from me.

With oils like the ALISYN Bio 100% biodegradable that burn so clean and protect so well (I turned my V6 over 8500rpm with it), there is little reason to force these on us. its nothing but a power-play by the WAFI's and tree huggers.  4-Strokes have their place, but it shouldnt be on the back of a boat thats main goal is simplicity and light weight.

16. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

Maybe we're barking up the wrong tree here. If we wait for the manuf. to to give us what we want we'll never get it.
    These 4 strokes are no different than that big block in your hot rod. What we need is for the aftermarket to step up with some 4 stroke performance parts.New Yami F20s make .9 HP per cubic inch (22.1 cu in).
    We need roller cams, ported heads, tuneable carbs, etc.
    Hmmm, how about nitrous or a turbo?   [smiley=carcrash.gif]

17. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Hmmmm....I remember doing things like that on my '67 cougar.
    Started as a stock 289 with a weber 2 barrel, ended up being
    a very expensive street legal hot rod. Spent a ton of money
    to have a car that legally could only do the
    speed limit, but could get to that limit very quickly...I'll guess the
    same expenses are inherent in adding aftermarket parts to
    small outboards. Any time the words "performance" or "marine"
    are added as a description to a part, the cost triples...

;)

Probably be cheaper to just buy a bigger motor.

18. iMacattack

It's funny you mention that. I asked the Yamaha group that exact same question. These outboards are very computer controlled. Someone would have to reverse engineer the fuel mapping, etc in the computer. Or try to purchase the program parameters from Yamaha... that's not going to happen. ;D So Your back to reverse engineering the motor computer. Not impossible but costly. Big motors are much more likely than our small ones to get that kind of attention.

19. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

No.

But good thread anyways.