Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have 2016 Yamaha f70 I have the fancy 6yc computer gauge. My problem is about 2 weeks ago the trim tilt portion of the gauge stopped working. It’s only reading all the way trimmed down. The day it stopped working it was working right before I put it in the water then stopped right when I was jumping up on plane. Does anyone have suggestions with out having to take it to the mechanic? Thanks in advance!

· Premium Member
384 Posts
Hey guys I have 2016 Yamaha f70 I have the fancy 6yc computer gauge. My problem is about 2 weeks ago the trim tilt portion of the gauge stopped working. It’s only reading all the way trimmed down. The day it stopped working it was working right before I put it in the water then stopped right when I was jumping up on plane. Does anyone have suggestions with out having to take it to the mechanic? Thanks in advance!
Had that happen on my F60.

Try this: trim all the way up and check up under the left side where the engine meets the trim plate. There should be a little lever with a spring. Clean and lubricate that lever really well! At least on my outboard, that lever manually indicates the trim position on my gauge. Whenever I store my skiff, I trim up slightly to take the pressure off that lever.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Try this: trim all the way up and check up under the left side where the engine meets the trim plate. There should be a little lever with a spring. Clean and lubricate that lever really well! At least on my outboard, that lever manually indicates the trim position on my gauge. Whenever I store my skiff, I trim up slightly to take the pressure off that lever.
Thank you sir! So I trimmed the motor all the way up and found the sensor with the spring. Hit it with some pb blaster good as new. Trim sensor works perfectly again!

G

·

Solid!

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,644 Posts

Great information!

· Registered
6,002 Posts
I've had that same problem with JohnRudes (but without the fancy gauge -just the standard single trim/tilt gauge...). If that spring-loaded lever has a bit of corrosion it will hang up and not provide the info to the gauge... As noted, lube it occasionally, work it a bit to free it up and you're good for as long as it takes until it begins to hang up again....

Note: I know very little about Yamaha, Mercury, etc. I've never owned anything other than a Johnson (years ago) or an Evinrude motor -since 1974...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.