Yamaha F40 starting issues ( 3 hrs on motor )

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by gordon_stokes, Nov 4, 2011.

1. gordon_stokes

gordon_stokes I Love microskiff.com!

I started the boat today in the driveway with the garden hose and muffs attached and it started well. At the lake it started well and backed off the trailer nicely and ran up and down the lake smoothly at all rpm ranges and at idle.

When we were not far from the ramp, I cut the engine and tried to restart with no luck whatsoever.  The valve on top of the fuel tank  was open,the fuel was new and  the bulb was firm and the line not kinked, the kill switch was attached---I tried every throttle movement and tilt angle and pointed the fuel bulb upward and made sure it was firm but no luck. As a long shot, I even drained the fuel from the fuel seperator bowl and reprimed the bulb

As many of you know, putting a boat on the trailer with just the trolling motor is no fun.

I am puzzled that the engine performed so well and just quit--any suggestions before I drive 70 miles to the nearest Yamaha dealer?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Did you kill the engine while still in gear?
    Can't start if it's in gear, safety lockout prevents it.
    So will too much throttle advance, on some outboards.
    Blown fuse will do it too.

3. gordon_stokes

Not in gear when shutting off.....to complicate it, about three hours after getting home, I put the muffs and water hose back on the engine and it started about 6 straight times.

It's hard to feel confident enough to make a long run away from the ramp.

Thanks for your help.

4. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

What year is the engine? When you say it would not start, does that means it turned over but the engine wouldn't start and run?

It turns over then it wouldn't be the neutral safety switch or the fuse, both would inhibit the engine from turning over

5. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Go to the dealer. That motor has a recall for a bad fuel pump. If you dont believe me just call them.. Its all warranty.

6. gordon_stokes

Turned over but no start.  Will check on fuel pump and recall....appreciate it.

Engine is 2010 with three hours.

7. cutrunner

Yep, the new f40 fuel injected motors have a "recall" on the fuel pumps getting hot. See, the whole time your running, so is the fuel pump, and it gets hotter and hotter. Then when u shut it off, its way to hot to start working again. Might take an hour for it to cool back down and start again. They are also a fire hazard. (overheating fuel pump submersed in fuel). Be safe, dont run it again, take it in to the dealer.

8. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

^x2 That's why I asked what year it was.

9. gordon_stokes

Have had the boat at the dealer for three weeks and the fuel pump is on backorder with no date certain for shipping. The fact that the part is a matter of a recall and their parts distribution can not locate any does not inspire confidence in Yamaha's service.

Hopefully this is a fluke occurrence and is not an indicator of things to come.

10. cutrunner

Well now, when half your frigin country gets destroyed in an eathquake, it might set you back a little... ::)

11. rkraskie

rkraskie I Love microskiff.com!

Apologies for digging up an old thread, did the fuel pump fix the issue?