Yamaha 90 Hole in Cowling

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by tailchaser16, Oct 8, 2014.

1. tailchaser16

tailchaser16 Well-Known Member

I noticed a hole in the front of my cowling just above the "90".  Pretty sure it wasn't there all this time.  It had me wondering all night how this could have happened. 
    While looking on the web to see if it can be fixed, I found two others with the same issue.

Has anyone ever seen something like this before?

Someone's post:  http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/forum2/hole-front-cowling-th12736.html

A picture someone posted:

[​IMG]

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Never seen that.
    going to check mine when i get home

3. nsbsurfer15

nsbsurfer15 I Love microskiff.com!

All yamaha TLR motors do it. It's a hole with a pressed in plastic plug that has a plastic cord attached to the oil cap. It really serves no purpose and you usually can't see it because it covered by the decal. Eventually the fitting always pops out and will push through the sticker. I have owned 3 and they have all done it. The best solution I had was to add a little superglue to the plug and apply a new decal. Decals cost about 6-9 bucks.

4. tailchaser16

BD,
    Thanks! Funny how the 90 TLR is a very popular motor and yet, I couldn't find anymore info on it.
    I was thinking to have it professionally sealed, repainted and new decal.

btw, where can I get the decals for $6-$9 if I go that route?

5. nsbsurfer15

nsbsurfer15 I Love microskiff.com!

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2006%20and%20Later/90TLR/TOP%20COWLING/parts.html

Like I said, just make sure that plug is still in there and if it is, secure it with some light adhesive.

6. relgin623

relgin623 I Love microskiff.com!

my 50 has the same hole.was wondering the same thing

7. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Great to hear that a simple plug will fix your problem... Since most cowlings are a thin fiberglass shell -if you needed to repair your best bet would be a small glass patch on the inside (the fun part would be removing insulation/sound proofing to gain access to the surface.

By the way, the real value in most forums I come to is the collective knowledge they represent.... I never knew about that particular problem (but I don't run Yamaha, unless it's someone else's boat).

8. tailchaser16

BD,
    Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.  Will tackle that after fishing Saturday.

Capt Bob,
    I think I ran up on you Tuesday night, apologies.  Didn't see you anchored up until I was almost on top of you. Never seen anyone there before and you guys blended in with the seawall.  I was coming there to net bait and when I realized there was a boat there, I turned and left.
    Then we crossed paths about 1-1:30am you were running south and I north.
    How did you do?  I put 3 slot and 2 over slot Snook in the boat.

9. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Glad you had a good trip... I did two nights this week and our trips were poor at best since we were concentrating on fly fishing for small tarpon (and only found any numbers the very last hour of the trip...). Not to worry about running up on anyone at night since there are usually very few out on the water...

I won't concentrate on night trips again until the shrimp run just around Christmas...

10. No Bait / Lures Only

No Bait / Lures Only I Love microskiff.com!

My 25 has the same hole, patched it with marine tex, revision 1, it is in the rear of the cowling  ;)

11. tailchaser16

Capt Bob,
    East of where we were, the tarpon are stacked up in the shadow lines really thick on the incoming crushing live mullet. You can literally drive up on them. If you want to put down the long rod, Need more info, IM me.

Hoog,
    Thanks

12. PLANKTON7

PLANKTON7 I Love microskiff.com!

on my yamaha' s it is a factory design that is used to secure the oil tank cap to the cowling……another words its good and supposed to be there….

13. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.