Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just commissioned a new skiff - 17 Maverick and I am finalizing a motor decision which I have a few weeks to do. My old skiff ran great with a 70 Yami 2S but topped out around 35 and ran all day in the upper 20's. It was a great power to get where I wanted to go, shallow and sipped gas. I expect more of the same from the new 70 and likely a bit faster given what I am hearing on the boat motor combo. For the extra weight of the 90 I get a blazing fast boat that I can then use the range to fish other areas of Flamingo and Biscayne Bay to the lower keys that I couldn't before - just took too long to get there. I have a few guide friends with as much as a 115 on the boat and they seem to fish just about everywhere I have in my old boat. The reason I would go with a Suzuki 90 is that it is the fastest and lightest and best reviewed motor at that rating. Looking for other folks thoughts and real experience. Thanks.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
929 Posts
I just commissioned a new skiff - 17 Maverick and I am finalizing a motor decision which I have a few weeks to do. My old skiff ran great with a 70 Yami 2S but topped out around 35 and ran all day in the upper 20's. It was a great power to get where I wanted to go, shallow and sipped gas. I expect more of the same from the new 70 and likely a bit faster given what I am hearing on the boat motor combo. For the extra weight of the 90 I get a blazing fast boat that I can then use the range to fish other areas of Flamingo and Biscayne Bay to the lower keys that I couldn't before - just took too long to get there. I have a few guide friends with as much as a 115 on the boat and they seem to fish just about everywhere I have in my old boat. The reason I would go with a Suzuki 90 is that it is the fastest and lightest and best reviewed motor at that rating. Looking for other folks thoughts and real experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a decision last month with my BT Strike. Knew I wanted to go with the Zuke over the Yami for the torque difference. Most people go with the 60 with the BT and I rode one with a 70 Yami. They both did fine but I wanted the extra power for the family days and the extra cruising speed and WOT power when wanted. Others will complain about the extra 100# with the 90 but your only displacing another 8 gallons of water so the draft difference is minimal. As you say, others with 115's are floating and fishing in the same places you were with a 70 2s. If the boat can hang a 115, there is no way I'd go less than 90. See if there is any difference between the wt of the 90 and 115. Maybe you can push it up to the max. Been under powered for all my purposes before and will never go less than max again. Determine what is most important to you. My 90 is cruising in the 30's and WOT in the 40's. You will love the torque and power of the engine. Very impressed so far.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
690 Posts
I would do the 90- actually- for 20 pounds more- I would do the Mercury 115. To get to the shark and beyond quickly in flamingo is worth it to me.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,928 Posts
Merc 115 is 2.1 liter n same weight as old 2 stroke yamaha. Largest cubic inch 115. Currently i have the yamaha f70la 4 stroke n not impressed with power, mileage is fantastic. Replacement will be a modded 115 2 stroke for power/cruise.
I did a weight comparisons on most 115 4 n 2 strokes n only bout 20# difference between most.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Older Mirage, HPX? The 90 Zuke is like 100 lbs heavier than the 70 you have on now, I believe. While the holeshot will improve substantially, the top end is like 41-43. Also, I don't see how that difference affects your range all that much? Sounds like you run/fish the same areas as me.
Do your buddies have the same hull with the power/have ya poled them? To myself, the top end was not worth the new extra weight on the back. If you really want to haul like the tourney guys, then I agree with the others, and weight/draft is not the focus, you might as well step up to the 115, IMO (since ya asked ( :
It's a bummer no one can make a replacement for the ole 90 2 banger. Really was the best combo for these rigs!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. To clarify my old boat sold and had a 70 2S. The new boat will either have a new 70 4S Yamaha or a new Suzuki 90S. The boat is a Carbon edition so the extra weight of the 90 is more than neutralized by the lighter hull. It is hard to believe that 15 years after the 2S went the way of the dinosaur they haven't found a weight solution.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I would be sure the skiff floats level with the 90 as if it squats. With the lighter hull, it will be more sensitive to weight, especially on the transom.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks. To clarify my old boat sold and had a 70 2S. The new boat will either have a new 70 4S Yamaha or a new Suzuki 90S. The boat is a Carbon edition so the extra weight of the 90 is more than neutralized by the lighter hull. It is hard to believe that 15 years after the 2S went the way of the dinosaur they haven't found a weight solution.
Ahh, gotcha. Was thinking you were just repowering. Congrats on the new build. I'm sure ya probably spoke to the guys at Maverick. They just started doing these Carbon layups, no? How many have that hull out there--Murphy? That thing is gonna be a potato chip. I would think the weight savings would help with all your concerns, as opposed to offsetting the weight savings by adding more weight with more power? Also, like Matt says, the other issue is the squatting...
Whatever ya do, keep us posted and show some pics--I'm sure she'll be sweet!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may be getting confused but when I read the weight for the 4S Yami 70 its 123 KG which is +_370 lbs. In other places its stated as 253 lbs. The Suzuki 90 is 341 LBs. If the former is correct it Seems like a no brainer. If its the latter, I need to do a bit more research.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I may be getting confused but when I read the weight for the 4S Yami 70 its 123 KG which is +_370 lbs. In other places its stated as 253 lbs. The Suzuki 90 is 341 LBs. If the former is correct it Seems like a no brainer. If its the latter, I need to do a bit more research.
123 kg x 2.2=270.6%

·
Registered
855 Posts
270.6#

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you fish mostly on the pole go with the 70, mostly on the trolling motor the 90. An angler or two upfront will level a "squatty" boat quite nicely.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The boat is a Carbon edition so the extra weight of the 90 is more than neutralized by the lighter hull.
I could not disagree more with this. Your carbon upgrade should reduce weight everywhere, the effect acting very close to or at the boats center of gravity. Adding back a hundred extra pounds at the very aft end of your CG on a now lighter boat will make your boat squat even more. It’s not just weight that matters, balance is important too.

I ran a 2008 HPX-V with an F90 for 9 years and the squat when fishing alone is pronounced.

Get the F70 or, if you have to go fast, put the right 115 on it and tell yourself you can live with a ten inch +/- draft. Also plan on a counterbalance if you fish alone, when the HPX squats the chine is exposed and she slaps.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts