Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help, my tilt and trim isn't working right and it has me nervous to go back out. I was out on the water today and the motor tilted up just fine but when I went to trim down it would just click. Luckily after a few more times pressing down the motor trimmed down. I ran straight in put the boat on the trailer. Got home tilted it up again and the same thing happens just clicking every time I pressed down, I tapped on the relays and made sure everything was good and it went down just fine. Raised and lowered a few more times with no issues.

I don't want to fix something that's not broke but I also don't want to be out on a flat having to manually lower the trim.

I ordered some fluid just to be sure but should I replace the relays?

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
If relays are clicking they’re fine. They’re interchangeable. Swap them to ck. Sounds like it’s air locked. Add fluid , work it some. May have to put a touch of compressed air to it to move fluid, not too much tho. Don’t ask...
Storing engine down should help as well

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Trouble shoot the tit motor by jumping power to the blue and green wires. I don't remember which one is which but one raises the motor and the other lowers. This will rule out or confirm a bad trim motor. If it tests as a good trim motor then on to step two....

A clicking solenoid means you have power between the switch and the solenoid. If you can swap them to test for reliable operation in one direction that will rule our or confirm a bad relay. If it fails this test then clean the solenoids and and all other connections and try again. There are three possible failures for each relay 1)Not making contact with ground when unactivated 2) not making contact with 12v supply when activated 3)not activating at all.

My money is on a bad motor which isn't a giant problem but you may get lucky and just have some bad connections.

Side note, please do not introduce compressed air to your hydraulic systems.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am hoping it is just low on fluid, I messed with it again this morning and it went up but got stuck, I let it sit for a few min and it worked going down. I bypassed the relays and they worked. Raised and lowered a few more times and it is working fine, one of my rams seems to be leaking a little bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts