Yamaha 70 tach

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Capt_David, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Capt_David

Capt_David Well-Known Member

My tach pegs out to 7K when I start the motor. The oil light is amber and SHOULD be green as the tank is full. I have a spare tach and checked it. NOT the tach same problem. I have checked all the wires twice and the grounds twice. This has me stumped...Also have a spare rectifier and it not that...Any ideas?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Any of the tachs I had problems with, the reason was usually
    one of three things: dead tach, incorrect setting of the calibration, resistance in the wiring.
    You tried another tach...same results, so I'd say settings and tach are ok.
    I'd be looking for corrosion/resistance in the wiring
    or a failing stator that's not producing the proper voltage.

3. Capt_David

Thanks Brett, I will put a meter on it later..

4. Capt_David

Hey Bret,
    It is a stator...Do you know where I can get on cheap..

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

No cheap yamaha stators,
    $300 plus for a new one is what I find on the web.

6. Capt_David

Ebay is the way, I will have my new to me 50 buck one in three days....Time to get out the tools..

7. aflatsnut

aflatsnut I Love microskiff.com!

I sent an Email to my Bud the Boat Doctor, he may have a used one. I'll know tomorrow.He has a repair shop and used parts. He's honest and legit.

Bob

8. Capt_David

I found a new/used one on ebay for 60 bucks...You dont get them that cheap anywhere.

9. aflatsnut

Good job. Just another note. The tach works off the charging circuit and an easy check would be to meter the voltage at your battery with engine off then start it and meter it again. If voltage goes up then stator is working, unless just one diode is bad then charging would be slow. I don't have specs on stator output to give you voltage numbers though.

Good luck.

Bob

10. aflatsnut

Good job. Just another note. The tach works off the charging circuit and an easy check would be to meter the voltage at your battery with engine off then start it and meter it again. If voltage goes up then stator is working, unless just one diode is bad then charging would be slow. I don't have specs on stator output to give you voltage numbers though.

Good luck.

Bob