Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
My use case is a little different (duck hunting) but we are hard on motors. I have a Yamaha and the other three boats in my club have hatsu's. The hatsu's are a little louder, but they have all been reliable. My Yamaha has been as well. If you're going with a tiller, the Yamaha trim switch is in a better location, but the hatsu has idiot lights on the tiller that the Yamaha doesn't. Hard to go wrong with either.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you are gonna paint it. I would color match it to the hull or deck. Paint and labor are the same regardless. Don’t know why Tohatsu has settled on purple as a motor color. Maybe it’s for the metal flake bass fishermen

·
Registered
277 Posts
Where did you end up getting the motor from? I’m in the market for a tohatsu 60 as well, already have one quote but curious as to what you paid and if they had it in stock

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don’t think I’m helpful there Lagoon, I purchased it from Skimmer on a new build. Picked everything up right before Covid hit, so no idea what current supply looks like for these motors. Bobby doesn’t keep them in stock, he orders from Tohatsu when he gets a new build.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Don’t think I’m helpful there Lagoon, I purchased it from Skimmer on a new build. Picked everything up right before Covid hit, so no idea what current supply looks like for these motors. Bobby doesn’t keep them in stock, he orders from Tohatsu when he gets a new build.
Yeah I was sort of asking the OP, I can get one in November but if I don’t have to wait that long that would be cool lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are gonna paint it. I would color match it to the hull or deck. Paint and labor are the same regardless. Don’t know why Tohatsu has settled on purple as a motor color. Maybe it’s for the metal flake bass fishermen
I do see some purple in mine, I think the sun turns their "blue"/black color a dark tint of purple after some time.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah I was sort of asking the OP, I can get one in November but if I don’t have to wait that long that would be cool lol
Sorry bud I missed that! There is a Tohatsu dealer here In St. Petersburg and Manny from biscayne picked it up on Friday for me. I’ll get the name of the dealer for you. I think they had another 60 and a 50 in stock.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I do see some purple in mine, I think the sun turns their "blue"/black color a dark tint of purple after some time.
Yea I got to see it in person Last Friday and I’m really digging the color. Can’t wait to see it mounted up on my new skiff!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sorry bud I missed that! There is a Tohatsu dealer here In St. Petersburg and Manny from biscayne picked it up on Friday for me. I’ll get the name of the dealer for you. I think they had another 60 and a 50 in stock.
Thanks man, I’m over in land o lakes so not to far of a drive, I wonder how their pricing is. Guess I’ll find out soon

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Nearly all 50s and 60s weigh the same. Go with more HP if the boat can handle it, you won't be sorry to have more top end. That's why you see more Yammie 70s than 60s out there - the 70 4 stroke weight only 6 pounds more than 60.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I run a Yamaha 50hp 2-smoke on a 16' Mitzi skiff, LOVE the engine, VERY reliable and have had it going on 12 years now with minor problems.
I have a friend running a 50hp 4 stroke Tohatsu on a Salt Marsh Heron 16', and he blows by me like I'm standing still....granted..he's lighter than me, but the Tohatsu's mean
and has GREAT power, look at the newer model 60hp.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts