Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the process of having a new skiff built for me. I was originally getting the Suzuki 50 in black. The boat is going to be green with all black trim so I kind of had my heart set on a black motor. Well I just found out that the suzukis are on back order and I really do not feel like waiting. I can get either a Tohatsu 50 in black or a Yamaha 50 hp in the yamaha silver. My gut tells me to go with the Yamaha because Ive had them in the past and they have always been great motors. The only draw back in it is not black so it does not really go with the color scheme on the boat. The Tohatsu on the other hand I just have zero experience with and know nothing about them. I do not want my motor decision to be made strictly because of color so Figured id ask you guys for some advice!! The Tohatsu is a little lighter then the Yamaha as well but I can afford the extra weight.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will also mention the top of the boat will be whisper grey.......... so I dont think the silver yamaha will look to bad. but yea i guess I could always have it painted or wrapped black if it bothers me that much.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I wouldn't worry about color. Go with your gut and what you think you would be happiest with. I have the Tohatsu 50 and love it. Others would rather have the Yamaha. The Tohatsu power to weight is unreal but it is a littler louder of a 4strk plus, you more than likely do not have a Tohatsu service place close by. I opted to save the 30lbs and glad I did. If weight is not an issue for you and you really want the Yamaha, then go Yamaha.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't worry about color. Go with your gut and what you think you would be happiest with. I have the Tohatsu 50 and love it. Others would rather have the Yamaha. The Tohatsu power to weight is unreal but it is a littler louder of a 4strk plus, you more than likely do not have a Tohatsu service place close by. I opted to save the 30lbs and glad I did. If weight is not an issue for you and you really want the Yamaha, then go Yamaha.
Yea I see Chittum is putting Tohatsu's on the majority of their skiffs, and if they are good enough for a chittum skiff then I am sure they are good enough for my little skiff lol!

To mkae my decision harder I was just told I can get the 60 tohatsu for the same price and the 60 tohatsu is still lighter then the yamaha 50 and apparently gets better fuel mileage....... now I am kinda leaning to the tohatsu for that extrra HP and better fuel mileage. Boat is going to have a 16 gallon tank so I should be able to get some decent range with a 50-60.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yea I see Chittum is putting Tohatsu's on the majority of their skiffs, and if they are good enough for a chittum skiff then I am sure they are good enough for my little skiff lol!

To mkae my decision harder I was just told I can get the 60 tohatsu for the same price and the 60 tohatsu is still lighter then the yamaha 50 and apparently gets better fuel mileage....... now I am kinda leaning to the tohatsu for that extrra HP and better fuel mileage. Boat is going to have a 16 gallon tank so I should be able to get some decent range with a 50-60.
Yep, if you can do the 60HP, do it. It wasn't out when I got mine. I have a 14gal tank and at 5700rpm I get 36mph and 7.7MPG so I would have a 105mi range at wide open. That has always been plenty.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would pick up one of the lightly used tohatsu 50s that will inevitably pop up for sale from someone swapping it out for a 60...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a boat with Tohatsu's 50hp 2 stroke and been running it once or twice per weekend so far with no issues. Bought new last september so I guess that should be expected. It's definitely not quiet though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
All of today's engines are good. I would look into where will you have it serviced and price. I went with Yamaha because I can easily/quickly get serviced if needed. Personally, who cares of the color. Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
All of today's engines are good. I would look into where will you have it serviced and price. I went with Yamaha because I can easily/quickly get serviced if needed. Personally, who cares of the color. Good luck!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all of the input! I ended up picking the new Tohatsu 60hp for a couple reasons. Pretty light for a 60, great fuel economy, I have a couple nearby dealers here in Tampa where I can bring it to get serviced, great warranty and it looks pretty damn good. I hope I made the right decision....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts