Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilema

I have a 2003 Yamaha 40hp 4stroke (tiller). I think the model is MLHB. It has the manual tilt/trim which is currently jammed. It’ll still move but require a lot of effort. I’ve been toying with the idea of putting a 2 stroke engine on instead. I found a 50hp in my budget. But then I have to go through the hassle of swapping out engines, selling the old engine, and potentially performing maintenance on this new (to me) engine. Here the options I narrowed down to.

Install electric tilt and trim. Is this even possible to do?

Pick up a used engine.

Any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hello JAS_904. I have a 40hp 2 stroke for sale. It's on page 13 of the classifies under (garage find) that might help you with your decision .

·
Registered
103 Posts
I couldn't find much info on your motor at all. NADA lists a weight that's just a hair over the 2 stroke weight but they're not the most reliable source. The L in MLHB would indicate long shaft. Seems odd for a tunnel skiff to run a long shaft.

If you can't verify that you'd be shedding at least 30 lbs by doing the swap, I wouldnt trade a known working motor for an unknown replacement.

I'd go with Donaghues rec and work it up and down and get some grease in there. See if you can get the manual tilt working right again.

Do you have a jack plate? That's going to help you get the most out of that tunnel hull. What about tabs? They'll compensate some for the lack of power trim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't find much info on your motor at all. NADA lists a weight that's just a hair over the 2 stroke weight but they're not the most reliable source. The L in MLHB would indicate long shaft. Seems odd for a tunnel skiff to run a long shaft.

If you can't verify that you'd be shedding at least 30 lbs by doing the swap, I wouldnt trade a known working motor for an unknown replacement.

I'd go with Donaghues rec and work it up and down and get some grease in there. See if you can get the manual tilt working right again.

Do you have a jack plate? That's going to help you get the most out of that tunnel hull. What about tabs? They'll compensate some for the lack of power trim.

No jack plate or tabs. I’m actually planning on selling the boat within the next year before I deploy. I wish I had done tabs on it though. I’ll double check the model, to make sure I’m not crazy. I’m trying to load up a picture of the engine. I’ll confirm the model when I can. Ideally I’m just able to add an electric tilt/trim to the current motor

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
If your plannin on selling then I say try to fix what ya got and sell it. No need in goin backwards.

B

·
0 Posts
If all other lubricants fail you, try this!
BRP engine tuner will without a doubt creep in there and losin it up. Not it’s intended use but I tell ya... it FN works lol!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts