Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Not exactly a mechanic so looking for some advice. (went through some personal stuff and boat was collecting dust for few months on a trailer)

I believe the water pump must have gone to sh1t :)

Basically motor starts no problems but no water comping out the back - cooling water does not seem to pump.

Did check the holes for blockages and nothing. Submereged in large bucket of water but nothing. Checked all I could and seems to be the water pump.

Any ideas what else I could check and how hard is it to replace the pump - below kit on ebay?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Yam...355673&hash=item1c97348235:g:bNUAAOSwYL9Z2zT4

Cheers

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
15,522 Posts
Spend the money and buy a full water pump kit from Yamaha and keep the old one for parts. No sense in putting a new impeller in a water pump housing that you aren’t sure the condition of. Make sure your water tube mates up with the water pump housing when you slide the lower unit back on, don’t force anything together and absolutely make sure you DO NOT move the shifter linkage or binnacle while the lower unit is off.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
15,522 Posts
Have to ask the dumb question. Smackdaddy, what happens if you move shifter linkage while disconnected from lower unit?
It makes it hard as hell to line the splines back up between the lower and upper shift rod. The lower is splined and if it gets just a little off it doesn’t want to slip back in and if it gets one spline off your shifter won’t completely engage. I’m guessing the 2 and 4 stroke yamahas are similar.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,983 Posts
Did the high temp horn go off, if not probably the tell tale hole is probably plugged and a wire, heavy mono will do the trick. Put the ear muff flush attachment on lower unit and run, if steam comes out quickly shut it down. Then the water pump kit...

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I'm basically an idiot and I was able to replace the water pump assembly on mine this past weekend. Just go slow and don't force anything. I recommend taking pics of the disassembly with your phone so you can compare when putting it back together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.