Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a 93 2 stroke Yamaha 30 horse buy my father’s boss a while back. The motor came off his dinghy that he used as a tender and has MAYBE 50 hours. Being as it has sat for the last 12+ years, I decided to go ahead and replace the obvious: plugs, fuel filter, water pump, etc.

When I went to drop the lower unit, I could see that it had never been done before and that someone had tried (hairline crack on the cavitation plate and a bend on the other side from hammering). Does anyone have any tips or tactics for removing a lower unit that is positively stuck? Thanks

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Now you know why marine mechanics get pretty high hourly rates... I'll be watching this thread but imagine all your replies (other than take it to a pro) will involve using a hot wrench (torch, hammer, drills, and a few choice words...).

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
And you are SURE you have all the bolts out? ie is there a bolt under the steering torque tab? I couldn't get my etec 50 lower unit off one time and I was SURE I had all the bolts out. Oops

Reactions: Fritz

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And you are SURE you have all the bolts out? ie is there a bolt under the steering torque tab? I couldn't get my etec 50 lower unit off one time and I was SURE I had all the bolts out. Oops
I’ve got everything loose. What happens a lot is the shaft gets stuck due to sitting and once you can drop the lower unit even a 1/4”, you can pry things apart. Just trying to figure out the best way to get it started without further damaging the lower unit

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
I’ve got everything loose. What happens a lot is the shaft gets stuck due to sitting and once you can drop the lower unit even a 1/4”, you can pry things apart. Just trying to figure out the best way to get it started without further damaging the lower unit
rubber mallet?

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
If it were me, I'd make 100% sure that the midsection is supported firmly (no give at all), and I'd work at it with a dead blow hammer. If that didn't work, I'd try to fashion a puller or screw jack of some sort.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,174 Posts
Launch at the end of the road in Yankeetown, head North wide open, she'll be off in no time.:cool:

Kidding aside, I am watching this to try and learn something, good luck.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Sounds like fun. Nothing says lets party like a fist full of wood wedges and a can of degreaser. At least it's a 30 so you can turn it upside down if you need to. I've had success with strapping the lower unit to the legs of an engine hoist and pulling it apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts