yamaha 25hp problem

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by txtroutfisher, Jul 29, 2015.

1. txtroutfisher

txtroutfisher I Love microskiff.com!

I have a 2002 yamaha 25hp 2 stroke 3 cylinder 
    Here's what's going on
    I run the boat about 10 min to my fishing spot and turn motor off Runs good . Start motor again and probably run for 3-5 min and then it boggs down feels like it's dropping a cylinder. Sometimes I can turn motor off and back on then it will run a little longer before it happens again.  thoughts?

Carbs have been rebuilt
    New tank, lines and connectors
    Compression is 150 on all 3
    Plugs are not wet 
    Not overheating
    I use 100/1 ratio
    Help please.  Thanks in advance 

2. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

I have the same motor and it had a very small hole in the fuel pump diaphragm and it caused the same type of problems. It ran good at idle, but it wasn't getting enough fuel and it would fall on it's face under load.

3. txtroutfisher

Thanks for replying I have pulled the cover off the fuel pump and there was some gunk in it so I cleaned the best I could but I couldn't take the whole pump off the carb. How do you take it off?

4. RunningOnEmpty

It's a part of the carb float bowl. The black plastic center piece is all you need to work on. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2002/25MSH3A/CARBURETOR/parts.html

5. txtroutfisher

Thanks I will look into it. I'm curious what oil ratio do you use?

6. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

make sure fuel tank is vented right.

:-?

7. txtroutfisher

8. Sandalous

Sandalous Well-Known Member

Check your fuel bulb. I had the same exact issue every once in a while with my 60, could not figure it out for the life of me, did everything I could think of, and sold it with the issue. I contacted the new owner a few months later and he said that simply changing the fuel bulb solved the problem.

9. RunningOnEmpty

Does it continue to run after the problem shows up? Maybe it's going into limp mode? Are all of the cdi connections clean? My 30hp had a few that were corroded really bad including the ground when I bought it.

10. txtroutfisher

11. txtroutfisher

Yes still runs when problem starts. All connectors are clean. This motor is driving me nuts

12. RunningOnEmpty

If your 100% sure that the carbs, fuel pump are good than I would start trouble shooting the ignition. I did manage to foul a plug on mine from idling a bunch and it caused the motor to act up. I thought the carbs were dirty for sure so I rebuilt them and all three looked perfect. $11 for three new NGK plugs did the trick.

13. txtroutfisher

Had the carbs professional done getting rebuild kit for fuel pump tomorrow. New plugs. I think it's either the coils or power pack

14. anytide

yes its 13 years old.... start replacing parts.

when my 1998 mariner started acting wierd this is what i did.
    coils / stator / trigger / plugs / wires / etc.
    these parts get brittle / burnt
    heat / vibration will make things change (elect) after warmup.

15. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Probably a coil or stator. When they get old, cranky, worn, and hot, they start to short out.

Where is Brett? He can explain this much better than I!

16. Dadvocate

Dadvocate If it ain't broke tweak it a little....

Make sure all bolts in your throttle linkage on starboard side of motor are tight. When I purchased a used 2006 25hp I went thru carbs, installed new plugs, cleaned fuel filter and installed new Yamaha fuel line assembly that terminated into tank with a brass 90 fitting and hose clamp. Ran awesome for a couple months then developed a similar problem to yours. I had the bolt that goes through the accelerator arm loosen. The motor would rev up in gear get on plane and the bog way down. Wait a couple minutes the back to WOT then bog down. Looked motor over real good and found loose bolt. Cleaned and reinstalled with Blue loctitie. Maybe not your same problem but would not hurt to look.

17. txtroutfisher

Thank you all that replied . I went through the fuel pump again and found a small hole in diaphragm. Installed a new one and gasket. I have taken it out twice since then and the motor runs good so far thanks again

18. anytide

good job !

[smiley=1-thumbsup3.gif]

19. RunningOnEmpty

Sweet! Keep an eye on the thermostat. Mine had all kinds of trash caught up in it. I check it often now. I used grease on the thermostat housing gasket to prevent it from sticking so that I can re use it. It seals just fine.

20. Jigmaster

Jigmaster Member

Don't discount a dirty/ clogged fuel pick in the tank itself.