Yamaha 25 Tilt Issue

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Dustin1, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Dustin1

Dustin1 Well-Known Member

I have a Yamaha 25hp 2-stroke (electric start, remote steering) on an LT15.   Long story short, the motor will not lock in the down position except when the gear shift is in the reverse position.  The rod assembly that locks the motor down works appropriately when the gear shift is in reverse, but does nothing when the motor is in neutral or forward.  If I understand what I'm seeing correctly, I think the rod assembly is working appropriately because the lever to put the motor in shallow-water drive or completely tilted up should be what keeps the motor locked down, not something tied to the gear shift.  Problem is, I can't figure out mechanically how the lever assembly to unlock the motor to tilt up into shallow water drive is supposed to keep the motor locked in the down position.  Almost makes me wonder if something broke without me knowing it.  Any ideas?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

The only time you want the outboard to be locked down is when you shift into reverse.
    In reverse, if not locked down, the prop will pull the lower unit back and up out of the water.
    In forward no lock is needed, as the direction of thrust forces the engine into the transom.
    You don't want the engine locked down when running in forward gear, as it is a safety feature that allows the outboard to tilt up and over submerged objects.
    This alleviates some of the impact and prevents the transom from being torn off the hull along with the outboard.

See?  [smiley=happy.gif]

3. Dustin1

I didn't phrase my question correctly. I understand that the forward thrust keeps the motor in position when in gear, however, what keeps the outboard locked down when you're on the road? You certainly don't want the outboard bouncing as you go over bumps, etc. That would put a tremendous amount of stress on the jack plate.

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Trailer mounted outboard support bracket?
    Remove at ramp to launch.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=287

5. Dustin1

I've used motor toter's on all of my larger outboards, but this is the first I've had without trim and tilt.  Are you all trailering with the motor in the down position and using a motor toter to keep the motor from bouncing?  I can't imagine trailering with the motor in the shallow water drive position would be a good idea.  That would put a large amount of stress on the bracket.

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

http://www.mercurymarine.com/serviceandwarranty/outboardfaqs/index.php

7. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

you guys are cracking me up with all this concern about stressing a transom ;D seriously, how much stress do you really think is being applied to the transom by towing as opposed to the stress thats applied by bouncing from one wave to the other at wot?? ::) i wouldnt want my motor flopping around back there while i'm towing so i sometimes secure it with a strap but have never used a " transom saver" and have never had a transom problem and oh by the way.... i drive it like i stole it :eek: ;) ;D :cool: