Yamaha 25 2 stroke starting bug

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Dadvocate, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Dadvocate

Dadvocate If it ain't broke tweak it a little....

Yamah 2006 25ESH had history of electric starting issue when bought used 3 months ago. Found corroded ground wire on his boat when motor was removed/sold. Ran new 6 ga tinned wire from battery 10' to motor and brand new battery. Motor cranked approx 20 times flawless. then did not want to electric start had to pull when headed back to ramp. Motor flushed at home would not start had to pull. Go this morning to check connections and wiring all tight on motor and turns over 5 times. Cranking volts checked ok. Neutral safety works and I'm alittle stumped what to look for next because it is working right now. :-/

2. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

When you say it doesn't start do you mean it won't turn over or turns over but won't crank/run?

I'm assuming you mean it won't turn over when pressing the start button.

Does it do anything when you press the start button? Do you hear a click?

Take a 4-6 gauge wire and directly from the hot side of the solenoid and touch it to the hot starter post, starter should engage. If so problem is in the starter button or solenoid, if not then starter is bad R&R starter.

3. Dadvocate

Probably a year ago my budy stopped by because the electric start had started working intermittent I looked and all connections were tight and clean. He had been pull starting most of the time since then. Yesterday was the first time I used the electric start. I have been pull starting since buying. I replaced the battery wires on motor from solenoid and starter ground before yesterdays trip. The old wires were not tinned and were corroded black and I like to crimp, solder and epoxy shrink all connections. Motor started with push of the bottom this morning and yesterday you could here a single click when starter would not engage. Electric start cranked engine 20 out of 22 times yesterday.
    Starter engages when jumpered. Do solenoids start working intermittent before they die?

4. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

If all connections are good, and you hear a click when it's not working, and the starter engages when you jump it every time, then you have your diag. R&R Solenoid!

Yes they do!

5. Dadvocate

Thanks for the expertise.