Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My extremely reliable Yamaha 1998 115 2-stroke suddenly started not wanting to run. Here's the timeline
  • I filled up the tank with Non-Ethanol in Matlacha, and ran the boat for 3 days with 0 problems.
  • Trailered her back with about 1/4 tank in a torrential downpour (5 hour ride)
  • Took her out about 2 weeks later and the engine started running rough like there was water in the fuel. The engine eventually died and would not run for more than a few seconds to a minute.
  • I pulled the Fuel water separator and it was clean. I replaced it anyway with a new one and the engine is still doing the same thing.

Any ideas? Could it be a kinked fuel line or something?

Also, I live in Ormond Beach and I am afraid my mobile mechanic may be retired. Is anyone willing to PM me a good mobile Yammy guy? If not, I understand completely ;)

Thanks in advance.

B

·
0 Posts
Give me a little while and I’ll get you a diagnostic list together. Start with a compression test. Followed by fuel restriction/ air in fuel system checks.

B

·
0 Posts
Ok, Check the bulb like @Smackdaddy53 said.
Verify that the fuel system isn’t losing prime.
Is the ball being sucked flat?
You can check for air with a short 12” or so piece of cheap clear hose installed inline while running.
Does this motor have a choke or the primestart feature?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ball is not being sucked flat, but it does not stay hard either. And it does have a choke, although I verified that it was not engaged.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
What about the little backflow check valve deal at the fuel tank? Mine started acting that way a couple of years ago and that was the culprit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, thanks fellas. It was the fuel filter inside the cowling. A zip tie popped off and it must have been sucking in air.

Replaced the zip tie and she’s running great.

This is probably a stupid question, but is there any specific kind of zip tie that I have to put in there? The one I replaced was black and the replacement is white. I wasn’t sure if there was a need for heat resistant or heavy duty material.

Thanks again!

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,309 Posts
Naa, just a nylon zip tie will be fine. Not one of those that comes in a pack of 1000 for $1.99 from Harbor Freight, get some made with DuPont nylon that are outdoor rated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts