Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 986 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my friends, the time is near! As I sit here holding my fathers hand I can’t help but think about how bittersweet this day is. Today turned a new leaf for me thanks to @Think-like-a-Snook and everyone one this great site! Clark, I am grateful for the oppurtunity you have given me and I look forward to producing for you what I see as the future in “technical poling skiffs”. You took a leap of faith that very few would even consider and believe me when I say you will not regret it! I am going to chronical the build right here on this thread beginning in just a few short days. I will not be sharing build data publicly only photo document and progress reports because the lamination schedule and other aspects of the build are proprietary to this skiff. Thank you all, this is gonna be a fun journey together, James

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So this one is a little slow to start off but... Materials are ordered, gonna start setting up strong back after Christmas. Have a deadline of June but gonna shoot for May! Wrapping up a few little projects while I wait on materials then it’s all X-Caliber and johnsen stretch for next few months!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Shadowcast16
You should be in my shoes right now lol! I’m getting antsy just waiting on a few things to arrive to start the build! Fair warning, I have gone outside the box in regards to conventional poling skiff design and she ain’t gonna float in a puddle of spit “like some claim”... but will be shallow, dry’ish, stable’ish, fast & efficient “for rated power”, ride good, and dead sexy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Shadowcast16
You should be in my shoes right now lol! I’m getting antsy just waiting on a few things to arrive to start the build! Fair warning, I have gone outside the box in regards to conventional poling skiff design and she ain’t gonna float in a puddle of spit “like some claim”... but will be shallow, dry’ish, stable’ish, fast & efficient “for rated power”, ride good, and dead sexy!
If the skiff isn't designed to draft super shallow, is it going to be for beach fishing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think he meant his numbers won't claim 3-4" draft like a lot of companies are trying to do.
Exactly! Once I have the numbers I will post them. She’ll still be a skinny girl, I just don’t want to make any claims that can’t be backed with hard proof! Guessing a true 5”-6” though, that should be close!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think he meant his numbers won't claim 3-4" draft like a lot of companies are trying to do.

And I always wondered who was drawn in by that type of marketing.
Sub 6” is shallow where I’m from big boy. Most companies, such as East Cape, are posting pics of their draft these days in order to dismiss false claims.

It’s funny you mention over marketing considering that you own a Maverick. lol

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I don't own a Maverick and funny you knew exactly who BoatBrains was talking about

Running and floating draft is a big difference

I happen to like fishing in the back of the boat. Let's see some draft pics with an angler on the boat.

Just so it's clear I'm without a boat at the moment

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don’t worry about draft folks! Where I fish and the area that has inspired this build is a little place called Ozello Fl! If ya ain’t familliar with it then look it up! If she fishes Ozello and the Nature coast of Fl. then it’s pretty safe to say she is good to go! I am 250lbs and draft will be measured with full fuel, batteries, jump bag, and me on the platform with a guy on the bow! I will give true numbers that are unscued by marketing strategy as I want my customers to know the boat they are giving me their hard earned money for is really what they want. I want happy customers and reviews, not semi happy customers that say she’s a great boat but... drafts an inch more than advertised. Thank you, James

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,642 Posts
1 - 20 of 986 Posts