Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a used Ankona, BT, ECC etc - tunnel is a requirement.

This rig will spend a lot of time in the Ozarks trout fishing and the remainder in the flats.

I am not interested in non tunnels.

Eric

·
Registered
870 Posts
You might also add Beavertail to your list if you want to cast a wider net. There are some B2s and Ospreys out there with tunnels. Perhaps you’re looking for something more high-end though. And for shallow water / slow speed, you probably can’t beat the tunnel Lostmen. They’re just tough to find.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might also add Beavertail to your list if you want to cast a wider net. There are some B2s and Ospreys our there with tunnels. Perhaps you’re looking for something more high-end though. And for shallow water / slow speed, you probably can’t beat the tunnel Lostmen.
Thanks!
Yes..I am looking at them also! I really like the Mosquito but I dont see a tunnel option. Price is a consideration, if I need to take a small loan to get a sled that fits the bill Im ok with that. Sold my previous trout sled (Stealthcraft) and some property in Arkansas so I have cash in hand.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Right on. The Ozarks is a curious place for a skiff, but the models you’re considering would be great platforms for trout too!

You’re correct that there’s no tunnel option on the Mosquito. The new EastCape EvoX can be built with a tunnel, but that would set you back $30k plus.

Some other tunnel options include the Maverick HPX-T and Mitzi ST. Both can be found at bargain prices sometimes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a discussion thread in the general fishing forum explaining why :) I'll recap here. I fish a lot on the White River and Norfork for trout. Wife and I are about to become snowbirds. My brother lives in New Port Richey so coastal fishing is in my future. Looking for a do all rig.. I could buy a dedicated trout rig. but it has no flotation and I am afraid the ride would be miserable in any chop and it would slap the water and as I understand it Reds are spooky.

Eric

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,350 Posts
No way I would use a glass power skiff on rocky rivers. Aluminum hull with jet is the standard on rivers large enough to use power boats. Plus less expensive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@sjrobin I appreciate your input but in my case I am going to respectfully disagree glass jons are just fine on the White and Norfork.
Ozarks are predominantly fished with a glass jons i'de venture to say 90% are glass. Most folks use a jet outboard and if they hit bottom they hit the boat. I don't run that crazy skinny and I don't run my boat at speeds where I would cause any structural damage to the hull or motor I stay in the channel unless skirting a shoal. its still a channel but here is where I slow way down. For me a worst case maybe scratch some gel coat.. no diffferent than polling into an oyster bed or so I have seen. Truthfully I would probably see more scrapes from beaching at the ramp than anything mid-river for how I run my sled.

Ive see some crasy videos of jet jons. This is not my application. I am not planning on blasting through a shoot or skipping over a gravel bar.

Obviously the goal is not to run up on a shoal or hit a large rock, but if you find yourself having to get past a shoal if you miss calculated the Dam generation schedule and the water is extremely skinny you simply have to get out and push or go back :) aluminum is not your friend here (it sticks).

Anyway...I baby my sled and know the river pretty well, watch the Army Corp generation schedules and is why I mentioned the tunnel and "going slow" through the shallowest sections of the river if going upstream.

You are correct that it would be catastrophic if you didn't know the river. Common sense goes a long way. but I need a boat to do both and I think the Skiff is actually perfect. its essentially a flat bottom boat much like the River Jons everyone uses there but the bow configuration helps with dealing with chop and is ideal for some coastal fishing I will be getting into.

Eric

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thnx GG34 - Looks like being new to the forum has all my replys moderated and never shows the "quote" when I do a reply. Maybe I am not doing this right. so I am not sure folks are seeing who I am replying too.. I will check the Skull out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts