SOLD/EXPIRED WTB teleflex stearing

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by snooknreds2, Aug 6, 2008.

1. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

I just bought my 25Hp merc to put on the crack-noe and am not sure what I need to buy in order to steer the thing (no tiller) and the guy said it was called teleflex system. Is that like the stick steering that I have seen on some boats or is it possible to get it with a helm. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

2. fishgitr

fishgitr Well-Known Member

Teleflex is the name of the throttle cables. Steering cables you can get both ways stick or helm. Which are you wanting?

3. snooknreds2

I am not sure yet I am still in the building process and have not thought that far ahead in detail. I have never used or seen in person stick steering so I would like to get some feed back as to what the advantages and disadvantages there are to it compared to a helm....with the obvious one being space and the helm gives you a little bit more to ho9ld on to when hulling azz. Are there any others?

4. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

Teleflex makes just about everything for boat controls. when most people say teleflex in regards to steering a small boat they are talking about a teleflex rotary helm. It's basically a mechanically driven rack and pinion system except the "rack" is flexible and is contained in a round housing to save space.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with the advantage/disadvantage of both the stick and the helm. What kind of boat are you talking about? Unless I had a side console LT I would prefer the stick over the helm so you wouldn't have a center console to deal with.

My $.02

5. snooknreds2

This is all in preparation for the crack-noe (the crack head canoe conversion into a canoe).
    at this point I thin I will go with the stick steering unless the price is about the same. What does each system go for around about?

Thanks for the help!!!!

6. CaptSnook

CaptSnook Well-Known Member

I use stick steering on my noe, and it is great. I have rigged in the center. I am guesing the stick will be cheaper, It is basically a stick connected to a steering cable, so would have to be cheaper than console.

If you have any air boats in your area look at it , it mostlikely has a stick steering system