WTB Sand Psuedo Hair

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by T Bone, Jun 18, 2017.

1. T Bone

T Bone Well-Known Member

Looking to buy Hareline Psuedo Hair in sand. Let me know if someone wants to get rid of some or if you know where to find some. Thanks

2. timogleason

timogleason I Love microskiff.com!

3. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

4. timogleason

everybody seems to be out of that natural tannish color for a while now. I found some cream colored in SC a week or so ago but can't find the sand

5. TylertheTrout2

TylertheTrout2 Well-Known Member

If i'm not mistaken pseudo hair is no longer being manufactured? I heard most suppliers are just getting rid of it till it sells out, maybe why you cant find Sand color, check out 239 flies I know Nick was selling pseudo hair in a few diff colors...back to Craft fur boyz!!!

duppyzafari likes this.
  6. duppyzafari

duppyzafari I Love microskiff.com!

Pseudo has been discontinued by Hareline. There's still some stock kicking around in the shops, so if you find some... BUY IT ALL.

7. Wonder why, I feel like I put that stuff on every fly

duppyzafari likes this.
  8. BM_Barrelcooker

BM_Barrelcooker I Love microskiff.com!

They have pseudo hair on amazon.

Attached Files:

FlatsRoamer and T Bone like this.
  9. Wilson

Wilson Member

Anybody ever use the barred pseudo hair? Found some of that in Sand. I've never used the barred stuff. Think I'd rather do my own barring

duppyzafari likes this.
  10. bryson

bryson I Love microskiff.com!

Take a look at Polar Fiber (Fibre?) -- it's got the same texture as psuedo hair, but a very slight bit of sheen. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I do like the texture better than craft fur, though I can't imagine the fish care much at all. I think you also get a little less material for your money.

duppyzafari likes this.
  11. duppyzafari

You and me both, buddy. I've heard it was a problem with the supplier, not the sales. I was despondent when I heard the news.

12. duppyzafari

I've used it. The barring doesn't remain perfectly aligned as you pull out the underfur and prep it to tie on, so it ends up being more of a mottled, variegated look than barred. I liked it less than the plain pseudo, but I'm not sure that fish cared one way or the other.

Pompano Kid likes this.
  13. duppyzafari

I've used Polar and liked it, although less than I liked pseudo. The surface properties of the individual pseudo fibers made them easy to tie in and helped the stay put. Polar fibers are slicker, in my experience, and take a bit more effort to anchor in.

Polar looks great in the water - the white makes a marvelous tail for glass minnow patterns. It looks absolutely perfect in the glow of a docklight.

bryson likes this.
  14. T Bone

T Bone Well-Known Member

I have some Polar and am not a fan. I feel like it wouldn't "breath" like pseudo or craft does. My experience is polar holds its shape, which i guess if that's what you are going for, could be useful.

On a side note, i found some online, and bought the remaining stock of sand (which was only 2) as well as stocking up on various other colors.

15. FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer Active Member

I have used polar, craft, and pseudo... by far MY favorite is the pseudo. I have a cream colored patch of pseudo, and just like many of us fly tiers I am on the hunt for sand and those useful colors. And T Bone, consider yourself a lucky man, 2 packs of sand pseudo is like finding a goldmine nowadays!

duppyzafari likes this.
  16. timogleason

NOOOOOOOO!

I've tried the Polar fibre. Just not the same...

duppyzafari likes this.
  17. FlatsRoamer

I actually just found and bought 4 packs of sand pseudo so it is still out there. Just got to keep looking!

duppyzafari and T Bone like this.
  18. warren.perry1

warren.perry1 I Love microskiff.com!

Nick with 239 Flies might have some.....

19. T Bone

T Bone Well-Known Member

He doesn't have sand. He may a few other colors left, but no more sand or cream

duppyzafari likes this.
  20. FlatsRoamer

Well I contacted Hareline about this and they said they were "working on it"

Hopefully it comes back sooner rather than later

Wilson and duppyzafari like this.