SOLD/EXPIRED Wtb ranger banshee extreme

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by flatsclassic, Jul 8, 2015.

1. flatsclassic

flatsclassic I Love microskiff.com!

Hey guys I just sold my boat and am looking for a ranger banshee extreme. Any thoughts about them would be cool as well and advice.

2. wooddrow

wooddrow I Love microskiff.com!

http://wilmington.craigslist.org/boa/5108891588.html

no affiliation

3. lucas70374

lucas70374 I Love microskiff.com!

http://www.bentmarine.com/Page.aspx/diid/8615094/list/InventoryList/pageId/144424/view/Details/2008-Ranger-Saltwater-Banshee-Extreme.aspx

Not Sure what they asking for it. Friend of mine works there call and talk to VJ and tell him Lucas told you to call

4. Blackdog317

Blackdog317 I Love microskiff.com!

I can share a few thoughts on mine.  I have run one since 2011 after ordering it new from Ranger.  It has been a great boat in terms of reliability.  I have had no major issues.  The minor stuff has been handled well by Ranger.

Fit/finish is nice on the late models (with a cap). Probably an 8 out of 10.  Nicer than a Mitzi, not a Hell's Bay.  Tons of storage for a skiff.  Front hatch is huge and dry.  Rear compartments are big...not so dry.  Center aft compartment is bilge access more than anything else.  My TM batteries fit in the anchor locker with room for wading boots, small anchor/rope, etc.  They do not have a great set-up if you need a live/bait well AND a cooler seat.  It seems like you can do one or the other.  I don't fish with bait much so it has not been a big issue for me.  A 5 gallon bucket and battery powered aerator does the trick when I take the wife/kids.  I use a cooler/cushion in front of the console for seating (Yeti 45, 65, or 105 will work).  The elevated helm is awesome for navigating sketchy water.  Not so good if you plan to have more than 2 people on the boat.  3 is crowded.   

Design and performance as a poling skiff is about a 7 out of 10. At 16' 8" the length is good...but the beam is 83" - Super wide... not effortless on the pole, but definitely manageable.  The width makes it very stable for a skiff.  I have spent some time on the Maverick 18 V and the 17 HPX-T.  The Banshee performs somewhere in between those two from the rear platform.  Horizontal rod storage is limited.  4 rods is easy.  Could do 6-8 if needed.  Real world draft on mine is 8+".  But mine is a heavy set-up (24v TM, Power Pole, Jack Plate, Radio, Charger, etc...).  Not sure if Ranger's published 6" draft is attainable with 2 anglers on the Banshee Extreme, even with a light load.

Engine/Hull Performance is decent.  With a 60 Yami 4 stroke it took a while to find the right prop.  Settled on a low pitch PT 3 blade.  At WOT she would do 29-31 mph depending on load.  I needed 18" to get up on a hard bottom.  Maybe a foot in the soft, muddy marsh.  Holeshot was ok, but I would blow out with the JP on 6...so I built a cavitation plate.  That helped a bunch with take-off and water pressure while jacked-up.  I was still disappointed in the engine performance.  So, I sold the 60 for some decent money and put the new Yamaha F70 on it.  Holeshot is MUCH better.  If it floats in the marsh (soft bottom), I can get up.  Probably need 14-16" on sand.  Speed did not improve as much as I had hoped (32-34 mph).  The wide beam is probably not the most efficient for speed when on plane.  It handles really well.  Very little sliding through hard, tight turns at high speed.  The poling strakes help it hold in turns...I guess.  I have run over an 8” sandbar (measured the depth out of curiosity) without dragging the skeg.  I have heard folks say it will run in 5-6” but I have never tried it.  Might be tough because the skeg is about 6” below the hull when jacked all the way up.  No tunnel back there, just a small pocket. 

Durability is a 9 out of 10.  She feels and sounds solid in rougher conditions.  I have been in 2 footers a few times and she held together well.  In moderate chop you can drop the tabs and it will soak up the bumps.  Very dry directly into or with the waves.  Can be a little wet when quartering in 12-15+ mph winds.

I really enjoy the boat.  May do something a little different at some point down the road... but pretty happy for now.

Hope that helps.  Keep in mind these are all just my opinions and performance numbers with the current set-up.  I'm not a guide or a boat builder...so take it for what it's worth.  Good luck with the search!

5. Skinny_waters886

Skinny_waters886 I Love microskiff.com!

I have an 2007 which is the older style and it's not as fancy as the new ones but I have absolutely no complaints.. My buddy has the new version and we have same motor and prop and I leave him outta the holeshot and wot 3 mph faster I prefer the older one cause I feel it's lighter and more simple.. Is go for it I absolutely love mine..

6. Drew__Harris

Drew__Harris I Love microskiff.com!

What year did they change them?

7. Skinny_waters886

Skinny_waters886 I Love microskiff.com!

8. Drew__Harris

Drew__Harris I Love microskiff.com!

14k for that one at bent marine

9. Big_Al_4581

Big_Al_4581 I Love microskiff.com!

A friend of mine has one for sale. Real good condition. Whats your contact info and ill have him contact you if you want.

10. flatsclassic

Thanks for all the replies every on means a lot to me as a new member. I am in Europe due to family issues right now. But I am planning on purchasing as soon as I get back next week. I'm located in Florida so it would be hard for me to get anything anywhere else.

11. Big_Al_4581

Big_Al_4581 I Love microskiff.com!

I am in florida and the one my buddy has is nice. I think its a 2008 it has the cap on it. It has a yamaha motor. Clean boat. He is not a forum member though. My password and user name messed up thats why it only says 2 posts. If you wanna give me your email or number i can get you pics. Hope all is good with the family.

12. Jsparacino@holmana

Jsparacino@holmana Flamingo is my paradice !!

I did lots of research before I purchased mine - I had it for over a year and used it almost every weekend. I loved it - very stable and skinny boat. You are welcome to call me anytime to discuss the pros and cons of the boat.

Joe - 954-818-1962

13. flatsclassic

I bought one but I'm disappointed in hole shot what do you think I can do to improve.

14. Blackdog317

Blackdog317 I Love microskiff.com!

I felt the same about the holeshot on mine when I bought it. Here are a few things that I did which all seemed to help...

1st... I moved some weight forward. I had a removable 24V Minkota trolling motor on my boat. The 2 TM batteries were stored in the compartment below the helm seat. I moved them forward into the anchor compartment. They were secured against the rear wall of the compartment. It was a tight fit for the batteries, but once installed there was still room for some gear (wading boots, anchor/rope, etc...)

2nd... I dropped the pitch on my prop. With the 60hp Yamaha I ended up with a 3 blade stainless Power Tech 10.5" diameter x 11" pitch...I think. A guy named Mike Cook at Ranger helped with prop selection. I wish I had called him sooner. I was struggling to find the right prop before I spoke with him. It put the RPMs where they needed to be and I was getting 28-31 mph.

3rd... I added a cavitation plate to the lower unit. Mine was a Shaw Wing, but there are several others available that might work. This helped holeshot by acting like a 3rd Trim tab that pushed the stern of the boat up as I gained forward momentum. It also helped compress good water around the prop when I was trying to jump on plane. Prior to adding the cavitation plate, I could not get on plane (the prop would blow out) or run on plane (low water pressure/overheats) when the jackplate was all the way up. Both of those issues were solved with the plate.

4th... I raised the engine to the highest mounting position. I wanted to be able to run skinnier and with less motor in the water (less drag), I felt like the holeshot improved. This was only possible for me AFTER adding the cavitation plate. ***Doing this will make the boat more prone to "swapping ends" in a turn***. It happened to me more than once. It was a tense moment for me...even worse for my buddy sitting in front of the console. But, thankfully we were not going that fast and everyone stayed in the boat. Avoid sharp turns when jacked all the way up and you will probably be fine. But...please proceed with caution if you decide to do this.

Hope that helps. All these adjustments happened gradually as I got more comfortable with the boat. It took some time to learn what the boat liked/disliked in terms of tabs/trim/jack plate/throttle. After 6-8 months I felt like I was pretty dialed in and could get the boat to perform like I wanted...or at least to the best of my ability. There may be some more experienced members/guides on the forum that can give you some advise on "how" to make these skiffs perform from the helm. Good luck! I really enjoyed the boat and letting her go was bittersweet.

15. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!