Wtb: Hull-ankona, salt marsh, east cape, etc

Discussion in 'Microskiffs For Sale' started by John Turner, Oct 12, 2017.

1. John Turner

John Turner Active Member

Looking for just a hull, no outboard. What's out there?

2. Mavdog

Mavdog Active Member

Not sure if you're looking for new or used, budget, or what size, but I recently requested a pricing sheet for a Salt Marsh 1444 and the hull is $3950 bare. I'd also recommend looking on craigslist; often the seller is willing to sell the hull sans outboard. I assume you already have an outboard, so you could also look at buying a good hull with a high hour/generally old or beat up looking motor.

3. John Turner

John Turner Active Member

Appreciate the advice, I have a brand new Suzuki 40hp, looking for a skiff to put it on

4. Mavdog

Mavdog Active Member

LOL that would be a bit much for a 1444. If you're looking for something new, your best bet is an Ankona or Larger Salt Marsh Hull. If you're looking for something used on a tight budget, I'd look for an older mitzi or maverick (master angler maybe) with a tired motor but solid hull. Pathfinder made a 17' tunnel skiff (17T) from 97'-02' I believe, and I've seen quite a few around or below the 10k mark. However, the 17T had issues with stringer delamination, and some listings I've seen specifically mention stringer replacements. So either way, if you go for a 17T, make sure you take a really good look at it, or if you can, have someone who's properly knowledgeable take a look. That goes both ways, to make sure the stringers are ok, as well as to ensure the repair was done properly. IIRC you can feel the floor sag if the stringers are bad, but that's not the only thing you should check for. I've never ridden in one, but from what I've read, you either love the boat or hate it.

If you've got a bigger budget, you might also want to look for an older hells bay. The hulls keep their value like you wouldn't believe, and a repower ensures you'll have no problem selling it if you decide to. Not sure how you came about having a brand new outboard, but that alone can help getting a really solid, older hull without having to worry about reliability issues or the cost of an impending rebuild.