Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for one ready to fish, excellent shape, not in need of repair. 15' preferred. Trailer needed. Willing to travel. Call me at 203-four82-O872

G

·
Please don't take this response to your post the wrong way. I'm not trying to talk you out of your interest in a Hobie Power Skiff. I simply thought I'd provide some feedback as a previous owner. The skiff will indeed ride dry and smoothly. However, you're going to have limited space and more importantly, the hull has a V all the way through the stern. (hence the lack of stability). The drain ports in the stern are so large that you'll need to stuff tennis balls in them to prevent water from flowing in whenever you walk to the stern of your boat. Ultimately, they're a good boat, I just wanted you to be aware of the limitations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm out by myself ninety percent of the time. Fishing mainly for largemouth bass and carp. Off shore for blues and stripers on occasion. Room to flyfish solo a must.

G

·
View attachment 70232 View attachment 70230 Mine may be available, dm if interested.
Nice! Geeze...I fished from a Hobie Power Skiff years ago. Well before I bought the Sabalo flats skiff I fish from now. I did not customize my Hobie to the extend that you have. I found the boats to be extremely dry, capable of running reasonably shallow without any modifications (like a jack plate), and due to the v-hull extending all the way through the stern, they offered one of the most comfortable rides ever. While the extended v-hull made them less stable than other comparatively sized skiffs, they were more than adequate for fishing with one person. Good luck selling it and if you don't, she's a real beauty.

·
Registered
475 Posts
For what its worth its a great boat, I think what sets it apart from other similarly sized skiffs like say a mitzi skiff or ankona boat is its open water capabilities so you can compfortably cover open water. The scuppers give a little comfort in rolling seas i encounter fishing inlets time to time. Ive literally "surfed" it offshore donw the face of gulf stream rollers. Only other thing i want to do to mine is get trim tabs, possibly extend the front deck and put the gas tank up front so it will squat less solo poling.
Also if im going to brag, the platform top is 100 Carbon fiber made by Egret boats

G

·
@bonehead I can agree with that assessment. I would have loved to have added trim tabs to mine too. I had to stick tennis balls in the scuppers to keep water from coming in whenever I was in the stern though.

·
Registered
475 Posts
@bonehead I can agree with that assessment. I would have loved to have added trim tabs to mine too. I had to stick tennis balls in the scuppers to keep water from coming in whenever I was in the stern though.
I replaced my scuppers first thing, long as there is no obstruction water stays out, and the boat is great at clearing water once the scuppers are above the water line even at stand still.
The tabs will be good for a little more top end in chop, tilt motor up and trim that v down.
And as long as wind is not head on or quarter its a dry ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts