SOLD/EXPIRED WTB HB Whipray

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired Classifieds' started by agc0893, Feb 4, 2014.

1. agc0893

agc0893 I Love microskiff.com!

Love this site. Have enjoyed reading and learning for some time, but its time to take the plunge and so the search begins. I am looking for Hell's Bay Whipray. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. PM

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. FlyFisherK

FlyFisherK Dieu et les Dames

This site is good to find skiffs but also check Craigslist constently. They rarely pop up and when they do they're normally gone with 1-2 days. Good luck. Love my whipray.

3. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

considering many boats never make it to the web you'll need to post WTB's on all applicable forums, especially Tribe N Water's Darkside....and to make sure you don't get beat to the ones that do make it to the web, you need to run search tempest hourly...have your money ready...and don't kick the tires too long.

http://www.searchtempest.com/

and send MattyVac a picture of your money, he's overdue for another skiff.

4. TC

TC I Love microskiff.com!

And call Matt at Hell's Bay, he's often aware of HBs/Gordons that are coming up for sale before they get listed. And it wouldn't hurt to contact Tom Gordon at Islamarine.

5. agc0893

Thanks gentlemen, I've been searching high and low for a couple of weeks now. Looks like I may have missed a couple nice skiffs in the beginning of the year, but I am confident something will pop up. Patience is a virtue or so they say. Thanks for the tips.

6. 8loco

8loco Well-Known Member

and send MattyVac a picture of your money, he's overdue for another skiff.[/quote] ;D ;D ;D

So true!!

7. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

;D ;D ;D

So true!!
    [/quote]

Money talks...

I have a devilray though, not a whipray ;)

8. Cbevers

Cbevers I Love microskiff.com!

9. agc0893

Bonitachris - response sent. Thx.

10. mkamerman

mkamerman I Love microskiff.com!

Call me. 239-777-four nine four nine. 1999 Whipray.

11. firefish

firefish I Love microskiff.com!

12. agc0893

Often time these threads fade away without conclusion, so I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions, PM's, and help during the search of a Whip to call my own. It's been a couple of weeks now, but after religiously searching on a daily, if not hourly basis for months - I was fortunate enough to come across this 2001 Whipray 17.8 right here on this forum within minutes of its initial posting. It's the same boat that turned up in LA with no power that had been tucked away in a shed since 2005 awaiting the previous owner to restore her, but he just never got around to it. The seller wasn't all too motivated to let her go at first, but I think he quickly realized I wasn't looking to flip her for a profit, but rather continue where he left off and in the process making her my dreamboat. I'd like to think of it as a "microskiff" version of that forgotten all numbers matching, granny driven, 1965 Shelby Ford Mustang Fastback that's in some barn or storage unit many of us dream about running across one of these days. At the very least its a unique chapter in this Whipray's history, but its been landlocked for way too long. I'll probably start a thread over in the bragging spot to document the restoration as many have done to help contribute to this community which has been so instrumental in my search, an awesome resource overall, and to highlight the craftsmanship of Jonathan Glasser of Glasser Boatworks- as I've commissioned him to help me get her back on the water in proper form. I've ever met a more meticulous person when it comes to their trade than Glasser... he's a genuine person that knows what he's doing and loves his work - as evidenced by many of us drooling over his projects. He's the type of guy that tapes and labels bolts as they come off the boat for proper reinstallation (OCD? ::)) - Perhaps, but that's the kind of guy I want working on my Whipray. I can't wait till this project is complete, but the best part thus far has been meeting people who share my enthusiasm for microskiffs & the locations they're able to transport us to and share my passion for fishing. Much of it made possible by this forum and its members, so I thought it was fitting to conclude this WTB thread with FOUND IT!

In the meantime... here are some teasers... as not posting some pics would probably get me grilled here, Lol - I'm a quick study. Thanks again.

Exactly how I found her...
    [​IMG]She's She's got fresh legs now...
    [​IMG]
    Home Sweet Home.
    [​IMG]
    And the process begins over at Glasser's shop... To be continued... 
    [​IMG]

13. joegil476

joegil476 I love Microskiff

Nice skiff ….Can't wait to see the after pictures
    just had my 1998 rebuilt ….exciting process
    good luck

joe

14. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

That's awesome Fish! Thanks for updating us. I'll be waiting with baited breath for the bragging thread. :cool:

15. Snookdaddy

Snookdaddy Well-Known Member

Fishrx,

Glad a forum member bought that skiff.

Questions: What is the metal thing on the front of the platform?

I know you needed power, but what other things are you having Glasser do for the resto?

Congrats on your new ride... You're going to love it!

16. Jsparacino@holmana

Jsparacino@holmana Flamingo is my paradice !!

It's great to see a happy ending to an otherwise long and frustrating search. I am in the process of putting my banshee up for sale and starting the long search for a Hells Bay professional. Reading your post and seeing your results gives me some hope that maybe I will find something relatively soon. Congrats on the purchase - enjoy!
    -Joe

17. TC

TC I Love microskiff.com!

Awesome! Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

18. agc0893

Thanks guys... I figured I'd find one eventually. I always seemed to be second in line, a day late or a dollar short on the few that popped up which met my criteria. I remained determined, while patient and confident that I'd find the right Whip one day. Equally as important... I was ready to go when it did as I've been saving up for this for a long time.

Joe - there's a Whip on boat trader right now that I almost picked up and was tipped off to through another forum member before it was advertised. The owner of that boat is a great guy and was very patient. In the end, I'd more than likely be heading for a repower on any pre-2004 boat, I preferred the console on this one, color scheme, and ultimately just made more sense for my needs and desires. More a moment, I had the luxury of choosing... Go figure. I was about to go with that one, until my attention was diverted with something else and during that time period this one popped up. Good luck with your search.

Snook - The thing on the platform was a bit perplexing until I finally saw it in person. It's a custom made deployable support that you can hang onto like a rail when things get hairy and you're anchored or staked-up waiting on Tarpon - which is what this Whip did during its brief service life.  Its all aluminum and on a gimbal mount that allows for 90 degree travel with a sleeve that slides over it for locking purposes in the upright position. Its a simple and functional design, but will not be staying with the boat. The tower is either getting extended or replaced with exact design in order to clear cowling on the new Yami by the guys at bluepoint.

This rig is embarking on a minimalistic pathway and will remain a tunnel. The plan is to keep it simple, yet functional & as original as possible. Its overall condition was good, but it needs a lot of patch work as we take off most of the aftermarket add-on components. It's getting redone inside and out and from bow to stern, keeping what works and addressing what doesn't. Most electrical components have failed due to just sitting around & I'm not taking any chances as I actually fish the remote places these boats get their name sake from down in Flamingo and Florida Bay.
    I'm partial to the classic look, but its probably getting matte black powder coat on most things shiny for aesthetic and maintenance purposes, hull & deck remain the same color scheme.

The major issue of power has been solved with a 0 hour Yami F70 on her stern. The gas tank gremlin has unfortunately reared its ugly head and so a new aluminum epoxy coated tank will be crafted by Bluepoint and installed. The Bob's Machine Shop jackplate pump is jacked, so we're swapping the whole thing for a mirco jackplate from Atlas for simplicity's sake, weight reduction and good space saving design. The only other major issue is addressing the lack of hatch latches, which upon first thought is a minor annoyance or none at all, until the 2 main compartment hatches fly open driving at 70 mph and rip out the moonlighter springs in the process - that being my first folley due to the lack of experience with this layout and design. Live and learn - hence the compression latches.

So after 9 years in storage, most major systems will need replacing or tending to, as most mechanical things tend to need after extended hibernation. LA is humid, hot, and can get pretty cold - so mother nature and father time have not been kind to anything but the hull and deck which are super clean & the reason why we love these older HB's. She was out of the sun's harmful rays, so the work performed on them is simply from an aesthetic & ease of maintenance perspective. New nonskid, awlgrip in the lockers, and spit shine the hull. Glasser will make quick work of it and do her justice. She'll be mechanically sound when all is said and done, but I want her to look pretty as well. 

One of the intangibles and added values about commissioning Glasser Boatworks for these type of projects is his proximity to HB's OEM suppliers like Bluepoint, the company that used to make their cushions, and other resources in the area. Jonathan's created relationships and has contacts throughout to keep things as original as possible, if you so wish. It not only keeps costs reasonable as there's little guess work involved, but I like the idea of OEM and just knowing its going to work and look right. Any custom work will have the OEM look & feel and the turnaround time is minimized as well. No doubt that HB's service shop can bring the older skiffs back to life, just like other noted shops on this forum have proven more than capable time after time, but I prefer Glasser's passion & hand's on approach. The man has skills & loves his work. All his years of working on the fit & finish of megayachts being brought to bear on the restoration of these skiffs compliments their original design concepts very well.  

I'll get the thread over at the bragging section going once the pictures start coming in to keep everyone up to date... as I am sure I'll have some questions along the way and good suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks.

19. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor