Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Adipose Flow Skiff
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here 馃憢 Looking for a boat to play in this winter on the Texas coast. My husband and I are fly fishing guides in Wyoming and taking the winter off this year. Been looking all summer, but it's hard to buy a boat in Texas when you're in Wyoming... and no one has flats boats for sale in the Rockies, surprise surprise!

We really want something small all around, just big enough for the two of us, not a crazy powerful motor. The only experience either of us have with microskiffs is riding in one. A Gheenoe seems like it would be fun. Something we can poke around in, learn the water, learn the boat and get pretty shallow if we need to. Speed is not our priority, we're used to rowing driftboats to get around.

Definitely open to other suggestions.

Looking to spend 4-6k. Could possibly put in as much as 8k for the right boat.

If we could find one with a poling platform and pole, that would be ideal, but not necessarily a deal breaker as long as we can fly fish from it. Based on what I've seen and read, we're looking for either a 13 or a 15'4. I'm about 130 and he's and 160, I think this will work... heard great things about their stability.

Located in Rockport, TX starting 11/18. Passing through central Texas on 11/17.

Thanks for any and all advice! I did browse through the ads and didn't see anything that matches in the area we'll be in. That being said, if I missed something, please let me know.

Cheers ~ Alyssa

Registered
Adipose Flow Skiff
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much. Looked at a Gladesman in the area for 10, it sold though. Those Mitzis look like slick boats. When you say there are some in the area for sale, do you mean here on Microskiff or elsewhere? Thanks

Registered
Adipose Flow Skiff
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did see that one. How do Towees compare to Gheenoes? I have heard they are really bad in chop due to the flat bottom hull design... but is the difference pretty negligible when comparing the two? Thank you

Registered
I have a Towee, but have never been in a Gheenoe. I can tell you that If you fly fish the Towee is one on the best boats I have been in for fly fishing, and I have spent a lot of time in drift boats

Registered
I'd look for a Mitzi or Gladesman. Both are in the range and work for two. IMO the Gladesman will pole better and the Mitzi will be more stable. There are a few around the TX area.
Check Facebook marketplace as well as 2coolfishing. The bays here can get very rough in a heartbeat, I personally would not fish out of anything too small or without a self bailing hull. The scooters with center consoles work very well along the Texas coast as fishing here often requires crossing bays to get to back lakes. Might have to do more trolling motor work than poling though. Check out Dargel, Shoalwater, Chiquita, Mowdy, and Haynie.

Registered
Adipose Flow Skiff
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Towee, but have never been in a Gheenoe. I can tell you that If you fly fish the Towee is one on the best boats I have been in for fly fishing, and I have spent a lot of time in drift boats
That's good to hear from someone who runs one a lot, thanks a bunch for the info. Are they decent for longer journeys? Like crossing a bay.

Registered
You should add the Pathfinder 17T, sometimes referred to as a Maverick to your search as well. Those boats are in your price range and work well here.

Registered
I have a Gheenoe Classic set up for fly fishing with a poling platform, Carbon Marine Push pole, Carbon Marine tiller extension, Grab Rail,
Yeti cooler, electric water Snake trolling motor for deep water, stakeout pole, excellent trailer with the hubs never under water and powered by a F15 electric start Yamaha with a jack plate etc. I haven't put this on the market yet but will be placing it here soon. Reason for selling is that I am going to a Shadowcast 18. I would deliver it to Texas for $5000. or pick it up in Florida for $4500. I have Grandkids in Texas. If this is of interest to you I can supply pictures and list all the other items included in the sale.

Registered
Adipose Flow Skiff
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Gheenoe Classic set up for fly fishing with a poling platform, Carbon Marine Push pole, Carbon Marine tiller extension, Grab Rail, View attachment 160147 Yeti cooler, electric water Snake trolling motor for deep water, stakeout pole, excellent trailer with the hubs never under water and powered by a F15 electric start Yamaha with a jack plate etc. I haven't put this on the market yet but will be placing it here soon. Reason for selling is that I am going to a Shadowcast 18. I would deliver it to Texas for $5000. or pick it up in Florida for $4500. I have Grandkids in Texas. If this is of interest to you I can supply pictures and list all the other items included in the sale.
I'll send you a message tonight, my husband is driving in 70mph winds and can't look at the pictures. We are interested. What a beautiful boat. Thank you for your reply.

Registered
This is a fantastic Gheenoe in Rockport. It's a stick steer, seats two very comfortably, and the 30 tohatsu gets you there quickly - 27 with two, 30 with one person. I used this boat in all of the bays around rockport - no you can not go out in 2' chop, but who wants too anyhow? Great boat, give the owner a call. Gheenoe Micro Skiff - boats - by owner - marine sale

Registered
Adipose Flow Skiff
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for your help and suggestions. Found a sweet Gheenoe Classic, all built up for fly fishing. (y)

Registered
Hey everyone, thanks for your help and suggestions. Found a sweet Gheenoe Classic, all built up for fly fishing. (y)
If your deal on the Classic falls through, I've got an NMZ 15' 4" in Port Lavaca, TX that I am about to list here for $4500.

If your deal does not fall through, congrats on the new Gheenoe!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts