Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need y’all’s help. I’m looking to buy a flats boat that can handle Biscayne Bay, Everglades and flamingo. Want a skiff I can take across Biscayne bay when it’s choppy but also pole in skinny water. Not sure if there’s anything for my budget but I’m hoping!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man! Ive been looking at the HPX-V. Seems like they’re hard to come by with my price range. I’ll check out hewes and action craft.

·
Registered
71 Posts
While that Biscayne boat works boat is a beauty,you are gonna get your butt handed to you if you cross and have to come back in the afternoon breeze. I have an 03 hpxv in your price range that I haven’t listed yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Action Craft is still the best built flats boat on the market. The 1720 is a great boat to pole and is well suited to get you in the areas you are looking to fish. It will also get you across those bays on windy days better than any maverick can. You can find used 1720s for reasonable prices.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Or for more, I would put the AC quality up against any other flats boat out there. Better made than nearly all the technical poling skiffs but they are not skiffs, flats boats. But I am biased, I sell them for a living and that is the boat I use when fishing. My 1820 does it all for me, couldn't ask for a better boat.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Steve, I figured you did. Depending on what style of flats boat and what you want out of it there are a number of boats that can challange your claim when price is not a factor.

Egret, Yellowfin, Young, Lake & Bay, Sterling, Newwater are a few people could could make an argurment for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Steve, I figured you did. Depending on what style of flats boat and what you want out of it there are a number of boats that can challange your claim when price is not a factor.

Egret, Yellowfin, Young, Lake & Bay, Sterling, Newwater are a few people could could make an argurment for.
I would agree with you for most of them if price was not a factor. My major exception would be the Lake and Bay. No love for them at all. Well built but over powered and too little freeboard on a rough day. The fact is though that all of those are still far greater in price that the Action Craft so in the end I believe we provide the best value for the quality.
Great discussion. Everyone has their preferences and I appreciate your points.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts