Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2015 with a 30 hatsu. Great boat floats super skinny, great to pole and quiet. Get great mileage with it as well, but just wish it came with a fuel level gauge. Other thank that, it’s not a bad boat. It handles well in some chop but have to baby it a bit but you will have to do that mostly with skiffs.

Let me know if you have any questions and I’d be happy to answer if I can.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2015 with a 30 hatsu. Great boat floats super skinny, great to pole and quiet. Get great mileage with it as well, but just wish it came with a fuel level gauge. Other thank that, it’s not a bad boat. It handles well in some chop but have to baby it a bit but you will have to do that mostly with skiffs.

Let me know if you have any questions and I’d be happy to answer if I can.
Does it draft as advertised? What is top speed? Is there enough room for 2 people to fish where you aren't crammed. I've heard that the floor flexes while riding. Is that true?

·
Registered
60 Posts
It does draft as advertised and I get around 32 mph. However, I have the stock aluminum prop on mine, which I’m not a fan of, but with a stainless I’m sure it can do better. I baby the boat and usually never run full throttle. The boat fishes two perfectly with enough room. Three is doable but two is perfect. I have seen reports of the floor flexing, but I have never seen or experienced mine flex. I could possibly see some flex in rough rough water but flat water or a slight chop it runs great like a normal flat bottom skiff.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does draft as advertised and I get around 32 mph. However, I have the stock aluminum prop on mine, which I’m not a fan of, but with a stainless I’m sure it can do better. I baby the boat and usually never run full throttle. The boat fishes two perfectly with enough room. Three is doable but two is perfect. I have seen reports of the floor flexing, but I have never seen or experienced mine flex. I could possibly see some flex in rough rough water but flat water or a slight chop it runs great like a normal flat bottom skiff.
Where are you located?
I'm located in Beaufort, SC. I'd love to ride in one before buying.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Take it for a spin! If it fits your style of fishing and checks off your list of wants/needs, get it. 9k looks to be half the advertised price of a base new one. I never hear much about them, but it looks to be a bigger version of a Gladesmen. I’d honestly love to know your thoughts after you try one because I never see them around Charleston

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take it for a spin! If it fits your style of fishing and checks off your list of wants/needs, get it. 9k looks to be half the advertised price of a base new one. I never hear much about them, but it looks to be a bigger version of a Gladesmen. I’d honestly love to know your thoughts after you try one because I never see them around Charleston
I'm in beaufort, sc and have never seen one either. It's a long ride for the boat so want to no everything I can before

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, you won’t find a lot of information online about them. For my type of fishing, I love everything it does for me. Plenty of space for 2x people fishing, poles great, 12 gal fuel cell. Only negative thing is storage, tacklewebs took care of all of that for me, and I would like a fuel gauge (I will put that in in the future) IMO it’s a great skiff for the weekend warrior or a little more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, you won’t find a lot of information online about them. For my type of fishing, I love everything it does for me. Plenty of space for 2x people fishing, poles great, 12 gal fuel cell. Only negative thing is storage, tacklewebs took care of all of that for me, and I would like a fuel gauge (I will put that in in the future) IMO it’s a great skiff for the weekend warrior or a little more.
Thanks for all the info. I currently have hewes redfisher and want something lighter that all draft shallower. I've looked into mitzi and ankona then seen a bossman for sale

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,096 Posts
I have one in Shallotte. I like it. You're welcome to come see it and, weather permitting, we can run it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bear with me, this is long but I would feel guilty if I didn't share what I am going through right now.

I bought a 2013 Bossman Karma 19 recently and before I decided to use it I thought I would dig a little into why I bought it so cheap. Thankfully, I could resell the trailer, motor, platforms, grab bar and pushpole tomorrow for more than I paid for it.

Currently, I have the entire transom and engine mount pad ripped out along with about 8" of deck around it. I have holes cut into the sponsons from the deck, the inner liner and through the bottom of the hull right now to drain water that had filled them (somehow). They have some foam in them but there are large gaps that have collected tons of water. The rear trailer eyes were rusting from the inside out (sponsons) and the boat drafted more than it should have and was slower than it should have been. Even with a tiller extension, she porpoised like hell at anything over half speed while alone. Still not exactly sure how the water entered them or what to do moving fwd.

There are air voids in the layup under every single area that I have ground off the gelcoat. I buzzed back the gelcoat on several areas that needed proper repair including where the poling platform was installed, the inner liner radius-es, the bulkheads, the pushpole holders, etc. and there are voids everywhere. She shimmy's and shakes a bunch under way and the forward deck is so flexible that when you step up there the fuel fill pops up. Also when you tighten down the casting platform mount the deck flexes upward. When ripping apart the transom and engine mount I found literally lemon sized balls of simple boat resin used to fill voids in the transom build. I have a little boat building experience (large one-offs) and what I saw made me sick. The coosa type core in the transom was completely delaminated from the exterior leaving a good 1/4" void and an entire layer of glass back there was completely dry with wet glass outside and inside of it.

Since I'm local to them, I took a couple of trips and made a couple of phone calls to the MFGR. Lets just say there were never any return phone calls and the owner hid from me when I visited and then he called his employees phones while I was talking to them in the shop. I wasn't looking for anything other than knowledge of how its pieced together, the hulls original color scheme (been re gelled) etc. Simple but nope, nada.

I was planning to regel the whole boat, even bought a jackplate for it since the motor I have is in great shape but has manual tilt. Now I'm on hold looking for some coring to use to rebuild the transom without it costing me an arm and a leg. I had a very positive conversation with a local builder/guru who offered to help with parts of what I need to do but I'm trying not to step in it too deep or deeper than I already have. I don't have a shop and I have a townhouse where I cannot work on it so I'm working on it when/where I can.

I wouldn't touch another boat of theirs unless I stole it, like this hull. I certainly wouldn't ever consider or recommend paying retail or NADA for any of their boats after what I have seen. Since buying this thing I have talked to a lot of owners and former owners. All of them had the same negative comments you can find on any message board.

I've taken pictures and video and will show the boat to anyone who wants to look at it as is. Its in Edgewater, FL. I'm not trying to get into it with the MFGR so contact me privately and I will show you what I have found nothing more, nothing less.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,096 Posts
but it looks to be a bigger version of a Gladesmen.
I'm pretty sure the mold came from a Hell's Bay Glades Skiff with sponsons added by the owner. The boat was for sale on here a while back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts