Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to purchase a new Gheenoe LT-10 and am shopping for the motor. I found a distributor in Singapore that has fantastic prices on new, prior year models. Their website is outboardmotorssale.com The motor I'm considering is a 2017 Honda 9.9 BF10DK3SHS 15" electric start for $1,783 + $155 shipping = $1,938. I'm new to outboards and Gheenoes and I don't know what I don't know about uncrating a motor that's been sitting in a crate in Asia for a couple years, sticking it on the back of a Gheenoe and firing it up.

Would you do it? Why or why not?

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,164 Posts
I see no issue with that. It wouldn’t be any different than guys that buy a 2 stroke motor that’s been sitting over a decade brand new in the crate here in the states. Put oil in it if it needs it, fuel it up and proceed with the recommended break in procedure. You can do some research and you will find it most likely on the Honda web page.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I would be leary of buying anything from China outright my daughter bought some shoes offline from over there they never showed up and we had to go to the bank to dispute the charge major pain to recoup her money. I wouldn't take a chance on that kind of money. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
my son has stuff shipped from china and Singapore frequently. mostly electronic parts but once a whole set of bodywork for a hyabusa. I would be more concerned with the legitimacy of the seller than how long it has sat in a crate.

·
BBA Counselor
6,759 Posts
Nope. I thought about it years ago, then started reading horror stories about all the scams. There was even a recent post on THT about a guy who fell into the trap.

Outside of that, that doesn't seem like enough of a discount to order from overseas to me. $1900+ for a 10 hp motor, I think you can get close to that state side.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
No. Just a clip of article below of crap going on with Amazon. Counterfeit outboard? Maybe not. Hard to trust anyone today. $1900. Not me.

Amazon is taking a new approach to its counterfeit problem by putting brands in control of expunging knockoff products on its site. The company announcedThursday a new program called Project Zero that will let brands delete fake listings themselves.

Like other tech platforms, Amazon has long struggled with how to deal with false or misleading information on its site. But when users post fake products on Amazon, they can have lasting impacts on the brands they are trying to knock off, like pressuring them to lower their prices to compete with the fake versions of themselves.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For $2300 you can get the 2019 Tohatsu 9.8 15" electric start shipped to your door. No state tax if you don't live in Tennessee. No possible import duties either. 5 year warranty. Does a Honda outboard imported directly from another region of the world come with a warranty that Honda outboard dealers here in the US would honor? ??? You'd better answer that question before pulling the trigger.
I bought my Hatsu 20 from onlineoutboards.com back in 2014, sale and shipping were hassle free and the engines been flawless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hadn't seen smalloutboards.com...

but I'm still laughing over the ad for their 8hp Honda: "25" Shaft 4-stroke, low compression, Good Spark, Starts and Shits great Parts Motor."

·
Registered
489 Posts
Too many dealers come and go. By the time you get your motor, tackle, parts, etc the dealer has gone out of business and you have nothing to fall back on. I wouldn't put $2000 on the line without a guarantee and some recourse in getting my money back should things not work out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the advice and the links. Very helpful. I was able to do more research on the distributor. I learned that the site is using an anonymous server, it's less than a year old and the website setup involves 3 countries. Also the site traffic is suspicious as there appears to be little interaction with other sites, a red flag.

The same day I posted this to Microskiff, I sent a message through the Contact Us tab on the distributor's website. I asked a random question, I don't even remember what it was. I just wanted to see if they'd respond. Radio silence.

So yeah, I think I'll heed everyone's sage advice and look elsewhere. Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Another vote for smalloutboards.com. I bought a one year old 20hp mercury from them for $2,300 including shipping. It came with a one year warranty and the motor was pristine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts