Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short and simple, I have my boat at a mechanic here, and getting a call back about the status of my boat is like pulling teeth. We call, leave a message, no call back. If we do get him on the phone, he says it’s being worked on and will call back. Then never does.

The most recent one was just Friday, when he confirmed the motor work was finally done, and we talked about having the fuel lines/connections re-done. Was told I would get a call back with final price on everything by COB that day.

No call, ended up calling first thing Saturday (yesterday) and he’s not at work, nor does the Marina know the status of the boat. They then turn around and tell me that he usually calls when the work is done, and here is when I had to inform them that that is a false statement. We have had to call in and either leave a message or luckily catch him in the office to get ahold of him, only then to be told again we can expect a call back and repeat the cycle...

Am I wrong for being a little frustrated at the lack of CS here? Is it that hard to call someone back when you say you will? Or is this the “norm” to expect when you take a boat somewhere to have work done.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If they had my skiff, I would be up their ass daily. Nothing sets me off more than someone telling me they'll do something then not doing it, so I think your frustration is warranted.
I would just show up there and ask them WTF the deal is.

·
Registered
607 Posts
It's like that for everything. My father is trying to get his dock repaired. The dock guy is great at taking money, but for actual service? Not so much. Makes me think I ought to go into business for myself. If that's the standard, then I could blow it away just by returning phone calls!

B

·
0 Posts
That’s complete bs when you’re paying $120 an hour or whatever for labor.
How long has your boat been down? Not defending, but I have been on the flip side where I spent all day answering/returning calls that were unnecessary to be honest. I say this only because the customers were told up front 1wk, 2wks, 3wks, etc... then they start calling after a day lol! I don’t believe this is what has happened in your case with you, but maybe the other customers are calling/hounding the hell out of him taking too much of his day??? Still not an excuse and still not defending because like I said “Service Manager needed” but maybe this will help you understand what “could” be happening.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today is 3 weeks exactly. When I dropped it off 3 weeks ago, I had spoken to the guy and he said he’d look at it that Monday and give me a call...

Just like Friday. Got him on the phone at 0900, we spoke and he said the motor was done, and that he should have fuel lines/fittings be done by COB, he would call to let me know status as well as final price on everything...

Yet as of Yesterday when we called, he was not there and we had to leave ANOTHER message and still haven’t heard back...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boatbrains; I wasn’t told an “exact” timeline for how long it would take, and I completely understand your side as well. More so aggravated at the lack of comms and the run-around trying to figure out when it’s going to be ready; especially when someone says “we will call you back” and a few days go by and you have to call again.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,504 Posts
I am used to asking my mechanic how long. A week a month or what. I know where his shop is so I can ask him questions and I get a price quote up front
You need a new mechanic

B

·
0 Posts
Boatbrains; I wasn’t told an “exact” timeline for how long it would take, and I completely understand your side as well. More so aggravated at the lack of comms and the run-around trying to figure out when it’s going to be ready; especially when someone says “we will call you back” and a few days go by and you have to call again.
I understand your frustration! I also agree with @permitchaser in that it might be time to find another wrench.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
100% agree this will be the first and last time I use this Marina/Mech. I’ll either do the work myself or find someone closer/has better CS

·
Registered
33 Posts
There's definitely good ones out there, but even they tend to bury themselves and overpromise and underdeliver on timelines etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think this happens with about any trade service as most are feast/famine businesses so they take more than they can handle. The key is to communicate from the start!
I hear you. I've been burned on timeline from the best and worst, and I'm super communicative and understanding. I had a fiberglass job go from 6 weeks to 3 months. I think the more understanding and patient you are, the more you get burned. No more Mr. Nice Guy!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts