Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slow day fishing At Chokoloskee and windy as hell. Broke my 9 weight too. But got back to the ramp at outdoor resorts and this guy was out for a swim in Chokoloskee Bay. I mean it’s a perfect way to cool off. Everyone talks about kayakers causing problems what about swimmers???

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Last month when I was down there, we pulled up to Watson's place to set up camp. Two kayaker ladies were SWIMMING off the dock. Floating around and plashing and relaxing....in front of Watson's, out in the Chatham. One of the dumber things iv'e seen on a long time.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it’s a good thing you can’t see. Two weeks ago I saw the biggest bull shark I have ever seen in the Houston. Not to mention a absolutely gargantuan Sawfish closer to the confluence of the Chatham and Houston. I’m sure they would never bother anyone swimming in the water.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Down around the 'glades the water's dark enough that you never see the big toothy guy until he's on you... I have seen enormous wakes though coming in out of the Gulf after a small tarpon got butchered by one of the local bull sharks..... One day along that same coast - not far away I was staked up in about four feet of water at a snook spot when I just happened to look down next to my skiff in time to see a medium sized tiger shark come sliding by checking us out... Medium for tigers works out to be around 11 feet long...

As far as the Watson place goes - I'd be a lot more worried about the big 'gators I've seen there, than the bull sharks... but either one would be a serious problem for folks who think mother nature doesn't have teeth - and consequences...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4,525 Posts
Ghey- that's what this post is. Unless there is yum yum picts with good background music and lies.

Reactions: brianBFD

·
Registered
607 Posts
I was out surfing the other day with a buddy. We're sitting on the outside waiting for a wave when all of the sudden his eyes get real big and he starts cussing about seeing a big shark real close. So he paddles over right beside me, and I'm just pulling my feet up on my board (not that it really would make a difference. hahaha). So while I'm looking around for this stupid shark, my buddy, loyal friend that he is, catches a wave in and leaves me out there by myself. hahaha!

But ya, I'm starting to see more of them now. I think that spring run of them is starting up. I'm in Daytona area FWIW.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Florida is the shark bite capitol of the world.... Fortunately it's only a single bite most of the time - not an attack. Of course your day it ruined if you're needing a bunch of stitches on hand or foot. If you ever hear of someone badly hurt or killed... the bull shark is the number one candidate during daylight. If an attack occurs at night my first suspect would be a big tiger along the atlantic coast. Big ones come into the surf at night and prowl for anything they can find - theyr'e not particular at all. Whole dead bodies have been found inside big tigers

·
Registered
918 Posts
You couldn't pay me to swim around Cedar Key in the summer. I've seen bull sharks so big they ought to have hull registrations on them.
I laughed at that one! last time I was down in citrus, there was a bull about 8ft in a 18in flat in the st. martins keys. half in and half out of the water. one place I can say I will never get past ankle deep is the cape sanblas/st.george area. ive seen some monsters around there. bulls and the big hammer bstrds……

·
Registered
620 Posts
Bulls are the only ones that gave me the "I don't give an F' you're here" vibe in my experience. The other species spook easy when you give them an alert.... As for the reptiles, it's all about timing....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Last month when I was down there, we pulled up to Watson's place to set up camp. Two kayaker ladies were SWIMMING off the dock. Floating around and plashing and relaxing....in front of Watson's, out in the Chatham. One of the dumber things Iv'e seen on a long time.
I don't get why they don't ban swimming off ramps and docks. Indian Key Fill is crazy at weekends. People in Florida seem to think boat ramps are just another kind of beach.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
On more than one occasion dealing with folks using the ramp as a beach... I've pointed out that they can either move or get ready to play catch when I'm trying to launch my skiff... Seems to work pretty well - but look out for the Miami "machos" that think their muscles are a substitute for brains...

·
Registered
570 Posts
On more than one occasion dealing with folks using the ramp as a beach... I've pointed out that they can either move or get ready to play catch when I'm trying to launch my skiff... Seems to work pretty well - but look out for the Miami "machos" that think their muscles are a substitute for brains...
Please tell me you dont see people swim at flamingo...thats worse than Watson’s

1 - 20 of 28 Posts