Worm fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by obrientimm, Apr 11, 2018.

1. obrientimm

obrientimm Well-Known Member

There are no bad captains. The true difference is if your captain is extremely competitive or not. I’ve fished different guys and seen the difference. Thane Morgan and Dustin huff are about as competitive as they come and always a hard team to beat.

2. shb

shb I Love microskiff.com!

Every body has a fav. But it feels like anything close will work.

Impressionistic seems to beat realism in most things related to terminal tackle.

IMG_20160509_232753805_HDR.jpg

3. obrientimm

A couple I tied up last night.

Attached Files:

bryson, flysalt060 and T Bone like this.
  4. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

Timm, I don't understand. If your Texas buddies are all dominating the tarpon fishing in those tourneys, then why don't you ask them?

In order to truly know if a worm fly is working, then you would have actually had to fish the hatch and then be able to rifle through all the worm flies you brought to see which one actually worked. And even if you found the right worm fly by accident, then you'd have to know EXACTLY how to work it to be effective. Then, you "might" have success....or not. Those who have done it successfully are few and far between. And even if you happen to find someone who's had success with it, you find that they will be very tight lipped about it and certainly will not post crap about it on the web.

Btw, even if you stumbled across the best worm fly, with no hatch, then you have a fly that will not be effective. Not in the right place but the right timing? You still have a fly that will not be effective. Ask your buddies about that one.

Aside from reading Bonecracker actually stumbling onto it by accident and was unprepared, in all my years of fishing for them, knowing where they were suppose to be (intel from buddies who live there), even sleeping on the boat multi nights during some years, when the Gods lined everything up just right and it was suppose to happen, but it didn't. Well at least not for me. So for me to show you a good looking Palolo worm fly, that I thought might work (which I have many of them), without actually having the stars aligned, being on the fish and proving one of them would actually work, would be dumb and useless information for me to provide. I've known guides that actually lived there, confess that they never been on an actual hatch. So any other info that you may see from others either on the web or in person (with no real experience on the hatch with those fish), personally, I'd can take that with a grain of salt.

All that being said, this is about the best one I've seen tied on youtube, so I'm sharing it because it public domain. But most of the good worm flies ones I've seen in person, are not shared publically. I've got a few of my own, but, well.... That's all I have to say about that. Matt just does it to help his bookings I guess. Note the weed guard. It's there for a reason, unlike the ones you just posted.

I recommend you tied them on an Owner 5180 2/0 and your "jump vs land" ratios will dramatically increase. Besides, silver colored hooks on a worm.... well.... it's just unnatural and sticks out like a sore thumb! That's a freebie! :cool:

So my dumb ass might be back down there again this year (glutton for punishment). Maybe I'll have something better to report AFTER it happens... or not. And even if it happens for me (i'm not counting on it), it's gonna be... Not! ;)

Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

Good luck!

Ted Haas

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Str8-Six likes this.
  5. obrientimm

Ted
    You are very completely incorrect. But I guess I appreciate your opinion.

6. Str8-Six

Str8-Six I Love microskiff.com!

Never tied one but if your using rabbit strip I would tie it so the leather is facing up. The tarpon looks up while feeding not down.

7. Backwater

They are stripped near the surface.

8. Backwater

Oh I've found myself completely incorrect on many occasions. But curious, how so? I'm assuming you are referring to getting a poon to eat a worm, even tho it's not during a hatch, or near one. ? Then if so, you have experience with that, no?

9. el9surf

el9surf Well-Known Member

The guide I fish with every year will fish worm flies on occasion, regardless of whether there is an actual hatch going on.

flysalt060 likes this.
  10. kenb

kenb Well-Known Member

Foam.

el9surf likes this.
  11. obrientimm

worm flies are used daily regardless of a hatch. On the ocean on the incoming tide it is usually my go to. On the fall and the water dirtys then for sure change up to a bigger bug. Some worms work one day and the next not. the foam is a fun fly to throw cuz you can actually see it but it can get tons of follows and tons of refusals. The Hawley was won last year on the foam worm with a little variation. Bear holeman used to tie up a painted tooth pick which we hooked fish on. Timmy Klein's worm is two tan hackles on a hook. Impossible to see but if you keep your fly line inline with the fish theyll eat it almost everytime.

flysalt060 and backbone like this.
  12. backbone

backbone Well-Known Member

A pink Zima with fin racc has been good to me, but very hard to see/track.

flysalt060 and el9surf like this.
  13. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

This, essentially. But with a smaller hook. I tie them in different sizes, some bigger than others. First day of the good hatch last year, they were eating small ones. Next day, they ate bigger ones better.

Here's a short video I put together from last year. We caught too many fish to keep track of. doubled up a few times, too.

Backwater, Str8-Six, sjrobin and 3 others like this.
  14. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

I have been reading this and don't want to get caught with my pants...well you know what I mean. I've never seen a worm hatch and probably never will but you need to be prepared.
    So I had some red para cord and looked up the real worm and this is what I came up with. Since I don't have a Palolo worm I didn't no the body/head shade of brown so I used both. Yea I know the hook is a little big/shiny but that's the only Tarpon hook I have now. I even put some brown foam on the hook to make it ride near the surface
    I'm going to tie 2 more when I get some black tarpon hooks and then that's it. Put in my box and wait for a miracle

Attached Files:

obrientimm and flysalt060 like this.
  15. EvanHammer

EvanHammer I Love microskiff.com!

What song is that?

16. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

darn I should have used the lighter brown and I thought it had a black head.

17. Backwater

Glad they're working for you. For me and some of the guys I know that fish the middle Keys, I've zero'ed out too many times over the years just to randomly reach for a worm fly, unless I'm around a hot spot where I think I may be close to the window (and these days, I don't chase windows). Otherwise, I want something that will push a little more water.

I do caution people to not mainly focus on using them, but definitely keep a few, just in case. Lots of guys get pumped up with the idea of being on it, like with PaintItBlack's video. But it can mean having blanked out the entire trip if that's all your gonna do is use them.

18. obrientimm

Flies that push water on the ocean will get you zeroed out. Little flies will get it done but hard for most people to see and know where their fly is. Regardless..... tarpon fishing in the keys is tough enough that getting zeroed out is pretty typical

Newman and flysalt060 like this.
  19. Backwater

Tim, I've been fishing the Keys way back before you were born and not traveling halfway across the country just to do so. So I have it figured out for what works for myself around the areas that I fish down there (mostly middle Keys). ;)

But thanks for your pointers as there are plenty of people on here looking for more ways to improve their odds down there. Interesting to know that worms work throughout the entire season in the Islamorada area.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    sjrobin likes this.