Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm drawing up the plans for a 16' wood flats skiff. I the majority of the time someone will be poling in the aft, while another is fly fishing in the front. I can't think of a good casting deck material, short of plywood (which doesnt fit the theme of the build; classy) or planing down some 2x4's or 2x6's and sticking them together butcher block style. Any ideas of a good material?

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,674 Posts
Why does it have to be wood. What your talking about would be heavy. A butcher block on the front of your skiff would not be cool. Just say'en

·
Registered
228 Posts
You could use vaneer layer on top of structural ply. Wouldn’t add much weight but not sure if it would turn out well with nonskid over top. This could be laid in strips to get a butcher block look. Teak would be the classy option to me but I would recommend a synthetic teak for cost and weight. Seadek does it but there are other options I’ve seen that look more realistic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could use vaneer layer on top of structural ply. Wouldn’t add much weight but not sure if it would turn out well with nonskid over top. This could be laid in strips to get a butcher block look. Teak would be the classy option to me but I would recommend a synthetic teak for cost and weight. Seadek does it but there are other options I’ve seen that look more realistic.
I didn't think of synthetic teak! Thats a great idea!

·
Brandon, FL
10,427 Posts
Since you are building your boat from strip mahogany why not use those materials? Mahogany boats are exquisite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts