Wood Fire Brick Oven

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by makin moves, Aug 8, 2013.

1. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

Hey guys, Just wanted to show off my new oven. I figured since most guys like to bbq and playing with fire I would post up a pic. I bought this out of California and it was built in Italy. I built it inside of a snap on tool truck, going to do a little food truck action as a change of pace for a while. If we ever have another micro skiff rally Iam cooking :) Pizza in 2 minutes. [​IMG]

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Brick oven in a food truck?
    Thats epic!!

We have a "food truck invasion" here every monday and about 20 different trucks show up and tons of people, its really cool!
    I think the food truck thing is going to kick off pretty big soon because the guys that come to my town got it figured out.
    By the end of the night about every truck is completely sold out of food.

On another note ive been thinking about building a wood brick oven outside.
    I can do the physical work but dont know how to design one that works

3. makin moves

I was going to build one but then I decided to put it in a truck and try to make money at it. I wanted a oven that would keep up so after doing some reserch Mugnaini ovens was my choice. There are companys out there that sell molds to make your own, you just have to find the proper materials to build it. Thats the hard part. If anyone interested I can post pics of a snap on tool truck to food truck build ;) Its not a boat build but its a serious project. The oven is 3,000 lbs :eek: which made it fun to get in the truck.

4. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

mmmmmmm pizza,
    E- you still making that manatee and sturgeon double meats pizza's ?
    :)

5. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

'the food truck thing' has been big for years. San Fransisco, Seattle, Portland, New Jersey, eta allot of the huge metropolitan hipster cities have had it become extremely popular almost as far back as 2009-2010....now you see the 'fad' trickling down into smaller cities as people catch on.

Some of them are good, but jesus H...some of the meals are $12-18 per 'dish' in these trucks! If I'm eating at a food truck with low overhead...the food better be under 8-10$.

6. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

It was huge in Houston. Friggen trucks and traffic jams all over my hood. Cool to see 10 trucks every other friday night in the grocery store parking lot serving food and at all the popular late night locations though.

That's an awesome rig MM. When ya making it over to the east coast? ;D

7. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

How many are being run by the mafia?

8. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

'les they are now hiring long hair, tea sipping, patchouli smelling hippies in Houston, my guess is none! ;D

9. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

The food taco trucks I am used to from California and Arizona definitely weren't operated by hipsters.  I haven't found a truly good burrito since I left Arizona.  If hipsters are doing the cooking it would explain a lot.

Now I am in the foreign land of DC where the "Mexican" food always includes fried plantains and is cooked by Salvadorians (which my Mexican soldiers insist is false advertising).  The food trucks are driven by first generation Iranians or the aforementioned hipsters who serve everything from llama cheese and pine nut quiche to edible underwear flavored creme brûlée.  DC just passed a law or two to remove pesky parking regulations that were hampering what is commonly viewed as a growth industry.  I am not sure why they did that because I thought those spaces in front of the fire hydrants were reserved for the taco trucks.

Diversity is cool, but dang I am confused.

Nate

10. Recidivists

Recidivists Looking towards the weekend!

I heard that Iguana meat goes for $15-$16 a pound up there. Plenty down here.

11. cutrunner

Saw one in my yard the other day lol, guess they are makin their way up, along with the curly tail lizards, cockatoo flocks, african redhead lizards etc.
    This states screwed :-/

12. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

Why is it that when a true culinary obsession sweeps across the country, it always seems to affect some critter we actually like instead of a dang invasive? Blackened redfish really hurt the Louisiana redfish stocks, but why isn't there a food truck in DC offering blackened snakehead? Unlike carp, snakehead are generally regarded as awesome to eat. All it takes is one culinary fad and we should be able to drive them to extinction. I see potential for lime marinated iguana tail and Burmese python kabobs also.

Sadly, some species like carp and nutria rats will be a harder sell. They have been trying to get people enthusiastic about eating them for years with little result, but maybe a wood fired BBQ nutria rat or carp and corn pizza is the answer.

Nate

13. makin moves

Nate, Let me get in the kitchen and see what I can put together for you :) Do you like your nutria rat medium or well done :-?

14. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Yeah, the food truck craze has been going on for years here in Miami. Some are very good, while others are not so much. It's like a mafia. My friend went and built a truck, did the wrap, made some awesome food but wasn't allowed into the cool kids club. So they wouldn't let him sell with them in the "Food Truck Food Court" so he just parked it and is trying to sell it. Unless the truck becomes popular, it wont make much money. And in order for it to become popular, it has to be at all the right places. They shunned him! lol

15. cutrunner

Geez.
    I would flatten all their tires and be the onoy guy at the food truck food court the next day ;)

16. makin moves

Iam lucky we do not have many trucks at all in my area. Looking to have some fun with it and see what happens. Working the oven is killer, there's a art to it.

17. ASB73

ASB73 Well-Known Member

That's going to be a very hot food truck
    Hope you have a massive a/c unit lol

18. 'Nano-Skiff'

'Nano-Skiff' It's not the size of the boat....

Food trucks are a lot different than taco trucks aka roach coaches here in Houston. But I dont eat from either...