Wolves, had to post this pic

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TomFL, Sep 20, 2010.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

This is a pic of a 180+lb wolf that was shot in Idaho, same area I elk hunted and had the problems with wolves last year.

To think packs of these bad boys are running around in the woods out there gives you pause to realize grizzlies aren't the only thing that could be sniffing you out.

We woke up every morning with the snow outside our tents covered in wolf tracks, some about 5-6" ++ across.

There are some bad boys out there!

[​IMG]

2. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

Yup we ain't the top predator once we walk out the front door.  I've come across fresh panther tracks that were about the size of my boot while hunting in the glades.  Makes you stop and think about what you are doing and to pay attention. I start to back track every now and again just to make sure I'm the only one hunting.

That was a big puppy there. Never really had the desire to predator hunt. I'd shoot a yote in a heartbeat though, unnaturally high numbers of them now. They are hell on small and mid sized game.

3. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Holy Chit Batman! That is huge. Kind of makes me want to dust off the 30-0' and head out west.

4. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Yes, out there they have mountain lion, 200+lbs cats!!

The horses would freak out every time we crossed a fresh track in the snow. I don't think they like cats.

The wolves have become a HUGE problem out there, the tree huggers re-stocked the wolves after their decline many years ago. Trouble was, the native wolf was the timber wolf, averaged about 70lbs and hunted in packs of 2-3, and they re-stocked with the Grey wolf, which averages about 120lbs and hunts in packs of up to 20.

Big difference there.

When I was there, Montana had just opened the first season on wolves, and I had a tag (missed one running). But apparently the tree huggers sued, saying each state could not set hunting seasons/limits on an animal that had federal protection, and they closed the season.

The wolves have changed the landscape of hunting and game populations in the bitteroots, and in many other areas, even yellowstone. The wolf population explosion is evident to all. In the bitteroots, elk calf survival last year was in the single digits, and the main elk herd is estimated by the state to be down 90%. Those numbers can't sustain themselves.

The two kickers here are these:

1) the tree-huggers are battling the hunting groups as well as the states who all want to see a manageable population of ALL animals, and they are doing it for FREE. That's right, win or lose their legal fees are paid, and the money comes from the sale of hunting licenses of all things. Imagine that.

2) the wolf population can't sustain itself as they are on the verge of eating themselves out of house and home as evidenced by the dwindling game populations; they're a fraction of what they were before wolf introduction. If we, as hunters, win the legal battle within the next few years (which is sure to happen) the wolves may very well be crashing in population as there simply isn't enough food to sustain their massive numbers, and the hunters will be viewed as the culprit, not mother nature.

Trouble is, the damage is done. The elk and deer populations will take decades to return to what they once were. And think about the populations of non-apex predators like coyotes, mountain lions, black and grizzly bears, wolverines, etc. The wolves are eating them out of house and home too.

Anyways, enough about wolves!! Just though the pic and size of that bad boy is incredible.

-T

5. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

I've heard of the issues out there. Not saying predators should not be managed when needed. I just don't have an itch for it, that's all. I just don't think I could pull the trigger on one. I'll leave that to others that have that itch when it needs doing.

Actually I'm a card carrying tree huger/environmentalist. My card is called a hunting/fishing license. I have to be, I want to do this in the future and I've always loved the outdoors and everything in it. I'm just not nuts like some people are. Idiots. We can't keep them all just like we can't mow them all down. Seems to me that there are two groups trying to influence policy, the first wants to remove hunters and fishermen from the equation, the second is fine with hunting and fishing, but seems to be hell bent on getting rid of (developing) the habitat. Either way we are screwed. Well I could rail on this for an hour, but I'm preaching at the choir.

6. Charlie

Charlie I Love microskiff.com!

For the record, they are actually the same species (Canus Lupus and Canus Lupus Lycaon). One, the Eastern Timber Wolf, is a sub-species. It's similar to the Florida Panther vs the Mountian Lion or their South American counter part.