Wiring electric winch

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by cvilt, Jan 10, 2013.

1. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

My wife bought me an electric winch and now I need to install it. I thought about running two wires from the battery and using a four prong plug I have or using the 12v lead from the seven prong and wiring as needed. I really dont want to hack into the factory installed seven prong. Have any of you wired one ? I am open to suggestions. And yes my wife rocks :cool:

2. Copperhead8

Copperhead8 I Love microskiff.com!

I just added a small Powewinch to my Ranger Banshee trailer. I ran the hot wire from the battery (with an in line breaker, I think it was 30 or 40 amp), to the back of the vehicle. Then a shorter wire grounded to the frame. both to a two prong plug ( heavy duty ATV plug). Then made up a short harness with the other end of the ATV plug and the plug that goes into the powerwinch. Works well. I bought the wire at west marine Note: This was how I wired my second vehicle - the first one was done with the wiring that came with the powerwinch.

3. cvilt

Did you have problems with the wire that came with the first one? I was thinking of replacing the wire to the factory seven prong so I would only have one plug to deal with but I am leaning your way. How hard is it to plug in two? :) Thanks Geo

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Once installed, lock or weld that new winch to the trailer frame/post, or you wont have it long.  :(

You saw how easy it was to bolt on, that's how easy it is to remove. :'(

5. cvilt

Thanks Brett, I remember hearing about them growing legs. I dont know what I will use to secure it, maybe tack the threads and nut